Hammering in new carpet tack strip and punctured a water line! Help.

Users who are viewing this thread

MichaelD

Reaction score
Last night I was finishing a wall repair from where a pipe had corroded. Last step was nailing in a new tack strip to the concrete floor to hold the carpet.

My fourth nail hit a pipe that was burried in a 1/16th of an inch of concrete and run along the wall.

I've begun excavations and it is some sort of manifold. What am I looking at and how do I repair this? (See photo)

Apologies to the color blind, I didn't know how else to show this.

Blue is 3/4
Orange 1/2 runs to a sink
Yellow 1/2 is what I hit. It runs 6" along the wall and down into the slab.
Red 1/2 runs down into slab
Teal is 3/4 out or in to slab
Purple is 1/2 into slab
Green is 1/2 into slab

Attachments

• 20240331_153231.jpg
    20240331_153231.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20240331_214102.jpg
    20240331_214102.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Being all copper makes that much easier. If you do not know how sweat copper pipe, you'll need a plumber.

If you're good with a torch, you can cut the yellow pipe about half way down. Cut the pipe somewhere under the slab. You can sweat new pipe and use new fittings. Not sure I would use Sharkbite fittings. Sharkbite has a tape that you wrap around the fitting when in contact with the ground and dirt.

Another way,
Unsweat or cut out the red to the yellow, then the tee to the yellow. Remove the tee. If you're good and not get the blue tee too hot you may be able to leave it. If the old solder got soft, remove it also. Essentially do not reuse old fittings if possible.

More digging is needed to get to the pipes. Another option is cut it all out, get the pipe further inside the wall and deeper under the slab especially along the wall. To match up the pipes going under the slab, some 45 degree fittings would be needed. To get all pipes matched up, the 90 degree elbows would be the last fitting to connect the pipes.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks