Well problems - need help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry Coen

Reaction score
SDC10005.JPG Hello out there, I recently purchased an older home to renovate. The water system was not working. We located the well head about 10 feet out from the house and about 5 feet deep. The item in the photo was bolted to a three bolt flange on the 2" well casing - there is a single galvanized pipe inside the 2" casing that screws into this fixture from below. Has anyone seen something like this before? I this fixture using the well casing as the second pipe for the ejector set-up? I want to replace the old galvanized pipe dropping down into my well, but I am not sure what I am dealing with here - any ideas out there would be greatly appreciated
SDC10005.JPG

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That is a casing adapter for a dual pipe jet pump. Google dual pipe jet pump with packer. There is a packer at the bottom of that inside pipe and the leathers maybe really tight to pull out. If you can get it out I would get a new packer, drop pipe, and casing adapter.

Terry Coen

Reaction score
That is a casing adapter for a dual pipe jet pump. Google dual pipe jet pump with packer. There is a packer at the bottom of that inside pipe and the leathers maybe really tight to pull out. If you can get it out I would get a new packer, drop pipe, and casing adapter.
Thanks for the info, will there be a foot valve at the end of the pipe? Any idea where I would purchase the new casing adapter?

Reach4

Reaction score
will there be a foot valve at the end of the pipe?

At the bottom of the pipe would be a Jet Pump Packer. http://www.deanbennett.com/deep-well-vertical-jet-pumps.htm has one for a different pump. Try "2 Single Pipe Jet" (with the quotes) as another search engine search.

Do you really want to restore the system and bury the adapter 5 ft down? That may not even be legal today.

A new well with a 5 inch PVC casing that extends above ground would be expensive, but it would be the right way.

Terry Coen

Reaction score
At the bottom of the pipe would be a Jet Pump Packer. http://www.deanbennett.com/deep-well-vertical-jet-pumps.htm has one for a different pump. Try "2 Single Pipe Jet" (with the quotes) as another search engine search.

Do you really want to restore the system and bury the adapter 5 ft down? That may not even be legal today.

A new well with a 5 inch PVC casing that extends above ground would be expensive, but it would be the right way.

Thanks for the info Reach4. No, I don't really want to restore the old system, just not sure I can afford to have everything replaced at this time.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
That looks like a Myers casing adapter. I'm curious how you unscrewed it without the jet pipe falling? Is it just hanging there? If so put a nipple and elbow to keep it from falling into the well. Fishing pipe can get expensive.

Terry Coen

Reaction score
That looks like a Myers casing adapter. I'm curious how you unscrewed it without the jet pipe falling? Is it just hanging there? If so put a nipple and elbow to keep it from falling into the well. Fishing pipe can get expensive.

Good morning Texas Wellman; thanks for the follow-up. I didn't actually unscrew it, I was working on trying to pull the whole assembly up and tapped the side of the casing adapter with a small hammer to break it loose, the adapter came off the pipe rather easily - the pipe must have been just barely threaded into the adapter, or the pipe threads were stripped. The pipe is pretty tight in the well, I tried tugging on it, but I wasn't sure what I might break at the time. Now that I understand what it is, I will probably try screwing a galvanized "T" onto it with a pipe nipple on either end of the "T" (if I have some good threads) and see if I can move it. I do have a backhoe available to help pull it if necessary, just don't want to break something or pull the entire casing out of the ground. Does that make sense?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nope. You already have compromised pipe.

Backhoes don't pull straight and you don't have enough feel to pull that safely. A guy with a pump hoist that pulls straight will have a better chance of clearing the hole.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks