Anyone every pound in a 5" well casing?

Users who are viewing this thread

raymason

Reaction score
My existing well pipe is a 1 1/4" galvanized pipe that is now over 30 years old. My current well was pounded in fairly easy with a post pounder on a tractor. I am getting some clearing done on my property and the person has a Cat 328D excavator which is about 36 tons. Has anyone ever pounded a 5" casing down 80 ft with an excavator.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That would be a tough one. I don't think anyone even makes a 5" well point. I guess you could make one. But 5" will be exponentially harder to drive than 1 1/4". Would also be hard to keep from bending it. But if the soil is soft enough it might work. With a good size pump you could probably wash it down if you don't hit anything hard.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Repeated hammer blows, will usually be more effective than placing constant force on an object, just as would be applied by the 36 ton excavator.

For sinking a large diameter object without digging, a pile driver may be a better option, but your best option will be to drill out the hole since that will remove the soil from the significant space that the well and casing is to occupy.

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
Repeated hammer blows, will usually be more effective than placing constant force on an object, just as would be applied by the 36 ton excavator.

For sinking a large diameter object without digging, a pyle driver may be a better option, but your best option will be to drill out the hole since that will remove the soil from the significant space that the well and casing is to occupy.
www.vermeer.com/na/pile-drivers/pd10
Look at hammer blows per minute with high-frequency hammer.
How would the dirt be removed from inside of the pipe?

raymason

Reaction score
Ok I have a ho pac vibrator coming and am just finishing welding up a point for the pipe. I will need to either drill some holes or cut some slots with a zip disc to let the water in. Anyone have a recommendation of which way to go? I think zip cuts would be way easier just not sure how many and how high up the pipe I should make. Was think of make 6" long cuts about 1" apart around the pipe then repeat every 10" (4" gap up pipe) 5-10 ft up. Not sure if dropping a few feet of pea gravel down the pipe would be necessary.

Attachments

• well point.JPG
    well point.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 68

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The slots will need to be small and so will the gravel, more like sand. Look at the smaller sand points and try to make slots like that. I would use .020 or .035 slots and gravel pack that was just slightly larger.

Reach4

Reaction score
The slots will need to be small and so will the gravel, more like sand. Look at the smaller sand points and try to make slots like that. I would use .020 or .035 slots and gravel pack that was just slightly larger.
I think he was looking at putting gravel inside.

Bannerman

Reaction score
I think he was looking at putting gravel inside.
As the plan is to drive the sandpoint and casing, there will be no space allowance around the outside perimeter to add gravel.

The gravel does need to be outside the casing since the gravel will provide a larger diameter lower pressure zone surrounding the casing and the water inlet slots, which will allow water to more rapidly flow into the casing from the surrounding subsoil. The gravel will also act as a filter to reduce the amount of sediment & debris from accumulating around the water inlet slots.

Driving in a 1.25" pipe would have been difficult enough, but a 5" pipe I expect will require the soil to be removed continually since driving a 5" tapered sand point will be attempting to push a substantial volume of compacted soil outward into undisturbed, compacted subsoil which will have little/no capacity for further compaction.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
My bad. Yeah you have no room for gravel pack outside the casing. You certainly do not want gravel inside the casing. I see them drive huge piles all the way to bedrock, so I think it can be done. But, I think without a gravel pack you will want the slits even smaller like ,010 or so.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you are determined to make your own 5 inch well, check Youtube. You may find some techniques suitable for third world DIY.

raymason

Reaction score
Well got it done and it is flowing at 50 gal/min for the last 4 hour hours. Minimal very coarse sand came out. Each section of pipe took about 2 minutes to pound down I had 5 pieces of 21ft 5" pipe. The pipe welds were much better that the point LOL
20231119_153810.jpg

Cleared up after 15 minutes.

Attachments

• 20231117_121443.jpg
    20231117_121443.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 66
  • well point 2.JPG
    well point 2.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 62

emptyregal

Reaction score
hello ray looking to do something similar to your 5" casing sand point may i ask what type of pipe you used for your casing?

emptyregal

Reaction score
Well got it done and it is flowing at 50 gal/min for the last 4 hour hours. Minimal very coarse sand came out. Each section of pipe took about 2 minutes to pound down I had 5 pieces of 21ft 5" pipe. The pipe welds were much better that the point LOL
View attachment 95255
Cleared up after 15 minutes.
hello ray may i ask what type of steel you used for the casing? looking to do the same thing!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks