Water Supply line from Street to House

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by cwboy, Jun 6, 2011.

1. cwboy

cwboy New Member

Hi there all,

Well i was out doing some work beside the house today and i came across the water line running in to the house. (Did not damage it) But i did notice that it is 1 1/4 inch white pex pipe. I had no idea that it was approved for direct bury.

Now my question is in Lynnwood wa what kind of water line should be used? (is it pex)

Should it be any more then 11" deep?

Any and all advice would be great thanks..

Aaron
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

PEX is allowed for water services here.
    It should have 24" of cover. Seeing as how it's PEX, 1-1/4" sounds about right.

I've never seen the ground freeze more then 10" deep around here. The worst was in Mill Creek, farther from the Sound and some of the hills South of Bellevue. Those are about 1,000 feet high.
    Farther away from the Sound and the lakes, it gets much colder in the Winter.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  3. cwboy

cwboy New Member

Thanks Terry, Should i make an attempt to lower the line below grade or just leave it where it is?
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

White PVC would be a more common pipe than PEX for a 1 1/4" service line. But even that is supposed to be at least 18" deep.
  5. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

11" around these parts would be frozen solid by the middle of October