Vent for Vanity

Users who are viewing this thread

Rolfsi

Reaction score
I have an 2 pvc pipe for a vent that I am reducing to 1 1/2 inch to fit through the top plate. I am installing a vanity with an 1 1/2 inch drain. The problem is the vanity trap will be about 5 ' from the vent. Am I out of spec for critical distance? Can I get by with the installation of an AAV between the vent and the vanity if I am?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Why are reducing the vent?
If it's a 2" vent, it may be for a bathroom set that includes a toilet.

A 1.5" line needs to be vented within 42"
If you use an AAV, it needs to be accessible and vented to the air.
They do fail and need replacement, and they need open air to operate. You can't hid them in a wall.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A 2" vent pipe will also fit through the top plate, if you drill a larger hole. There a MANY ways the piping easily could be revised to make the drain distance legal, but an AAV is about the worst idea to do it.

Rolfsi

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I appreciate your advice. I am going to install a vent tee with an elbow out to the trap and go up through the top plate. I didn't think an AAV would be a good idea.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks