Vanity modification for sink top

Users who are viewing this thread

Marzec

Reaction score
The vanity is 24" wide by 21" deep. The top is 25" wide by 22" deep. The vanity is set in a corner so the top overhangs one side by 1"+ and the front by 1"+. The top needs to be supported pretty much all the way to the edge.

My plan is to rip 1x material that will serve as stable base for the top. This material will be attached to the top of the vanity using PL glue and some finish nails to hold in place. Picture these laying flat along the top perimeter of the vanity and overhanging on one side and the front by about an inch. I could attempt to pre drill and screw, but the vanity material on the side is just 1/2" plywood.

Does anyone know of any better tricks when the top overhangs a vanity too much and needs additional support beyond where the vanity stops?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Most top materials can cantilever 1" without an issue.
For big overhangs like knee space under kitchen sitting area, they use metal plate.

Marzec

Reaction score
Most top materials can cantilever 1" without an issue.
For big overhangs like knee space under kitchen sitting area, they use metal plate.
I already had one break due to insufficient support and allowing it to just overhang on the front. A tenant learned back against it and it broke. There's definitely a large gap in the front that doesn't make any contact with the top of the vanity.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks