Use tub outlet of valve for shower?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
Hi guys,

I haven't done this one before: do you foresee any issues with using the tub outlet of the valve for the main shower head and then the shower outlet for the secondary rain shower head? Purpose being to divert between one head or the other... ?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't see why this wouldn't work as long as diverters were added.

The tub outlet is less restricted, most shower valves will run up to three heads.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shower

using the tub outlet for the main shower head will create sufficient back pressure that both heads would work at the same time until the diverter was operated to allow just the secondary one to have flow.

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
ohhh... that would be a bummer. This is a pretty high end bathroom the client is building, and I want to make sure this works properly. What would you suggest to avoid the back pressure forcing water through the overhead rainshower head? It drops from the ceiling, there's about 7' of 1/2" copper between valve and head...

Thanks alot Terry and HJ, I appreciate your help :)

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you go to a good plumbing house, or even the design desk at the HD, they have manufacturers catalogs with diagrams of how to plumb these types of systems. If the proper techniques ( i..e. loops and pipe sizing ) are followed, and you select appropriate valves , this will work very well. Short cuts and "jury-rigging" the wrong parts can lead to a headache.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Kristi said:
...the overhead rainshower head? It drops from the ceiling, there's about 7' of 1/2" copper between valve and head...

Going to but in one issue.... I did this in my last bathroom remodel. It's nice. :) I only used one showerhead though and its the rainfall. I'm going to install a heated pipe tracer in the attic to keep the pipe up there from freezing since it doesn't completely drain out. It might not freeze, but an once of prevention helps you sleep at night. I'd hate for the girlfriend to turn on the shower in January and have it start raining from all the light fixtures upstairs!

Jason

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
Don't have to worry about freezing, as we're in Vancouver, BC (the mildest climate in Canada) and the client (and their shower) is in a condo with a floor above.
HD and my wholesaler won't be much help, as the client purchased the valve and heads directly from Switzerland... it took us 2 months just to figure out if they were approved for the inspection or not! I do have a bit of a loop happening before the 7 or so feet of pipe to the head, so hopefully that will facillitate most of the pressure for the "tub"??? Wondering now if I should have upped the pipe size to the head...

Thanks guys,
Kristi

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shower

The pressure is generated by the distance above the valve, and larger pipes, distance, loops, and/or anything cannot change that. The only solution is a multiport diverter valve, but you would either have to get it from the original manufacturer so its handle matched the shower valve, or find a domestic one that has a similar appearance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks