Unusual leak from shower head

Users who are viewing this thread

Hudson50

Reaction score
Homeowner experiencing what I believe is a unique problem with a leak from an upstairs bathroom to the ceiling below. I have a tub spout with diverter and a tub/shower combination.

The leak only occurs when the shower head is attached to the shower arm and water is flowing through the head. If I remove the shower head and allow the water to just flow through the shower arm pipe there is no leak. If I remove both the shower head and the tub spout and then cap both the tub spout pipe and the shower arm (so, essentially, a pressure test) there is no leak. It’s only when the shower head is attached. Every other combination of water in the tub (such as through the tub spout) results in no leak.

I have also not been able to see where this leak is coming from. I had a plumber come in to replace the tub spout female nipple (inside the wall behind the tile) and it doesn’t seem to be coming from there. Also, there doesn’t seem to be any water coming down the pipe that leads up to the shower head. Plumber can’t seem to figure it out and doesn’t seem inclined to spend a lot of time trying to do so. And, finally, why would I only get the leak when water is flowing through the head and not during a pressure test with both pipes capped?

There is also no leak when the hold/cold water valve is closed.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks