TOTO - which Ultramax II model to choose

Users who are viewing this thread

Shaner55

Reaction score
In trying to decide on which TOTO one-piece toilet to purchase, I found two models very similar.........

MS604114CEFG and MS604114CUFG (1.28 gpf and 1.0 gpf) ($450 / $585 in Canada)

I like the CUFG model because it's MAP rating is 800 compared to only 500 on the CEFG model.

I wonder about the CUFG model's flush valve, it is a "Tower Flush Valve" compared to a usual flapper style.

The tower flush valve looks like a "canister" type similar to the Kohlers.

Any comments or experience on this tower flush valve (THU421-A), do they work ok, better, with or without problems?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
OK, here's the deal.

The CUFG is a 1.0 gallon per flush model, ultra water efficient.

The CEFG is a 1.28 gallon per flush model, very water efficient.

I think you will find that this is a circumstance where the MAP rating doesn't tell you the whole story. I think you find that they both flush equivalent amounts of waste, as the way they do the MAP tests has changed over the years to make it a little easier to get a higher rating.

The CUFG will likely have a smaller water spot in the toilet and a little less bowl wash than the 1.28. These are important to some people, less important to others.

To precisely-meter the water on the 1.0 CUFG, Toto went to a mechanical flush valve. It isn't a canister flush, per se, like the Kohler. Instead, it's a seal that is controlled by a wire from the flush valve. It works well.

I think the CUFG will work very well, but I think the CEFG is probably going to be more satisfying in terms of flush and bowl wash. If you are interested in water savings as a priority, then I think you will be delighted with the CUFG.

Last edited:

Shaner55

Reaction score
ok, thanks for the quick reply,
It seems like if they were to test the MAP rating on both today, they would get the same MAP rating number. The 500 map rating was the only concern I had on the 1.28 gpf model. I like the idea of a better bowl wash so I think I'll go for the MS604114CEFG (1.28 gpf) model. It is about $130 cheaper anyways here in Ontario, Canada. ($450 compared to $580)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It seems that all the recent MaP ratings are higher. They might have changed the testing method.
Anyway, I sell and install a lot of the 1.28 Ultramax II bowls. Customers are happy. That's what counts. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks