Toto Flush lever complaint

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Gleno, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Starwarsith88

Starwarsith88 DIY kid who loves toilets

I have never had any problems with our 2004 and 2005 TOTO Drakes with GMAX and those handles are original. :)
  2. mrswohls

mrswohls New Member

Seriously Terry? I have five in my house and 3 have broken exactly where the original poster explained and I'm sure it's only time for the other two!
  3. M A Thomas

M A Thomas New Member

I have only one but it is failing exactly as described. No, neither my wife nor I flush with our feet. "Hey, not my problem, I subbed that out!" isn't an acceptable excuse. Yes, moving parts wear-- that's why they should be designed to resist wear, which this part wasn't. Six years to failure is fine if the part is cheap and easy to replace, which this part isn't. I make my living designing homes. No more Toto products in my specs; I can't trust the quality.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2014
  4. jeffreyt2000

jeffreyt2000 New Member

Thanks to this forum for ideas on fixing. Have the exact same issue with the handle (2 Toto toilets, same handle PN 9592) in the 18 months I have lived in my house both have now broken. And like Thomas, we don't flush with our feet.
  5. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

Well that's just dumb. And I'm sure you doing that will send a powerful message to Toto.
  6. k9gardner

k9gardner New Member

I was pretty surprised to look inside my new Toto Drake and find this crappy flush rod. I didn't know these were all generic. It's kind of like buying a Mercedes and finding that the steering system is the same as on a Radio Flyer wagon. It it works flawlessly, I guess it's fine. But it begs the question; would it work better if it were better?
  7. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

You totally mis-interpreted if you got that idea from this thread.
  8. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

That flush rod is a hell of a lot nicer than the rod that you'll find in a lot of toilets.

We have several of them, never a problem. If people jam anything really hard, over time, it will break.

As to generic parts, the genius of your Toto is the design of the trapway, and the flawless execution of the hard stuff to make, like the firing of stuff made out of clay.

It is also a good thing that various parts will work in the toilet. For example, Toto uses a number of different fill valves. One they make, one they buy from the US company Korky, which also makes their universal replacement fill valve. I personally prefer the Korky valve. Similarly, most toilets in the US use a standard fill valve. Lots of manufacturers install the Fluidmaster 400A as their fill valve, which is a cheaper valve, made in Mexico, but which also does the job.

Although Toto makes a flapper for its toilets, there are other flappers out there that will fit and will work well. American Standard has a zillion owners of its Champion 4s who wish that American Standard had just used a standard flush valve in the toilet, because they have had to disassemble the toilet and replace their proprietary flush valves due to leaks. Indeed, Korky now has a replacement flush valve which uses a flapper; this product will fit in the Champion 4, installing essentially the system that Toto has always used.

In short, what you bought is a high-quality product that is exceptionally-well-designed, exceptionally-well-made, and will last for decades. In that time, you will likely have to replace some wear parts. The ones in your Toto will always be easy to find and inexpensive to buy.

Now go ahead and love your toilet.
  9. Wallijonn

Wallijonn Member

I really can't believe that someone would decide not to buy a Toto because of the handle.

I bumped this thread because my second Drake has a little too much play in the handle before it engages. The ADA Drake lever/handle has no slop, so I'll be taking this non-ADA Drake's lever out and adding the JB Weld to it, in hopes of getting it "tight."