Replacing bathtub p-trap

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Tree fingers, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Tree fingers

Tree fingers New Member

I am replacing my old bathtub but once I had the old tub removed I noticed that the tub's brass p-trap connection was rotted out. The far end of the brass p-trap pipe is stuffed inside an ABS pipe which then leads to the main waste line. My question is, well, what should I do? The brass pipe is in the ABS pipe very tightly so I'm not sure if I can pull it out with out breaking anything. Would I be better off cutting through the brass pipe and using a compression fitting?

Thanks in advance for all advice! image.jpg
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The ABS has a trap adapter on it, with slip joint nut and washer. It takes tublar fittings, which is what your brass tub drain is.

You could use an ABS tub waste and overflow, and glue with coupling to the 1.5" ABS pipe.
    There should be a p-trap in there somewhere.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013