Musty smell from shower overlfow

Users who are viewing this thread

Cathaus

Reaction score
I thought I posted this already but I can’t find it. Apologies if this is a repost.

2 months ago when renovating our kitchen below our main bath, we replaced the old galvanized drain pipes with pvc. They couldn’t remove the old cast iron vent/drain pipe so that stayed. They replaced the bathtub barrel trap with a standard p trap. I now smell a musty earthy smell from the bathtub overflow area. My contractors plumber did the work. I had my plumber come out who said he didn’t really smell anything and recommended trying a drain cleaner. I’ve used bleach and it seems to temporarily help. I’ve even taken the overflow cover off and scrubbed down it best I could. My worry is the p trap is being siphoned now and it’s dry. Here is some plumbing pictures of the layout. The tub drain like runs to the right to connect to the sink drain line and then into the toilet drain which is right at the cast iron pipe. My plumber says it isn’t how he would have run it but it isn’t wrong. Thoughts? How can I test if my trap is being siphoned?

Attachments

• IMG_5860.jpeg
    IMG_5860.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 26
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks