Replace Outdoor Leaking Hose Bib

Users who are viewing this thread

ms222

Reaction score
I have a hose bib that's leaking when turned off that I need to replace.

I used channelocks to hold the pipe in place and a wrench to try and turn the bib counterclockwise to remove it if it was threaded. Did not work.

Is there a way to know if its soldered on or threaded? If soldered, how much should it run me for a plumber to cut the pipe, attach threads to the pipe to put a new hose bib on and allow easy replacement for me in the future?

Picture attached. Thanks for any input.

20190126_135913.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I haven't seen that hosebib before so I can't tell how far back it goes. If it does go into the wall, it's best to open the wall inside so that you can hold that pipe. Twisting copper you can't see never turns out well. I pick up a plastic panel to cover the hole I cut, so that the next time it's worked on, I can pop the panel off and pop it back on when done.

fluidmaster-panel-2.jpg

ms222

Reaction score
no reason to cut into the wall. the bibb is connected to the straight pipe coming out of the wall on the outside of the house.

It was either soldered on or on a threaded adapter. It appears since it's so tight its soldered.

So the bib will have to be removed and a threaded adapter soldered onto the straight pipe. Then I can just use teflon tape and screw the new hose bib in.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It was either soldered on or on a threaded adapter. It appears since it's so tight its soldered.

So the bib will have to be removed and a threaded adapter soldered onto the straight pipe. Then I can just use teflon tape and screw the new hose bib in.

hosebib-stuck-2.jpg

I was not able to unthread from the fitting behind it. My guess now is that the connection is further back. This one was in Everett.

hosebib-stuck-1.jpg

Has anyone seen one like this? It's an old 1950's home, so likely tied to some old rotting galvanized.

hosebib-cover.jpg

Last edited:

ms222

Reaction score
Thanks Terry those looks like less piping to work with. On another note, here's one I just changed that already had the threaded adapter....but weird enough its leaking below where the threading connects. I even re-taped it still didnt work. here's a picture, any thoughts?

20190126_191724.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's not threading in very far.
With tape I pull three wraps tightly.
Or sometimes three wraps of tape and pipe dope over that.

ms222

Reaction score
thanks tightening did the trick! the first project is over my head time to leave it to the professionals.

ms222

Reaction score
so for my original problem I bought a straight hose valve shut off connection that would have worked fine except the hose bibb in the picture must have damaged threads where you would attach the hose as I tried a couple hoses and the valve shut off adapter and all got stuck 1/2 way up the bibb threads.

Since the bibb is going to get replaced regardless if I can't make it work, any ideas how to "force" the connection on the threads? pfte tape? lubricant spray?

ms222

Reaction score
Terry as usual you were right. Siding had to be cut. Had a plumber do it today, and solder on a female adapter so that next time the hose bib leaks itll be an easy replacement for me.

Now I'll be working on repairing the siding although the hole isnt too big. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks