Replacing my water main shut off

Users who are viewing this thread

Natehunt

Reaction score
So the valve under my hose bib is stuck, if I need to turn the water off to the house I have to turn it off at the street connection.
I have done plenty of copper sweating on different projects so I'm no stranger to that but what is the best way to approach this. Would it be as simple as cutting it out and putting slip joints above and below? Do I have to worry about the existing fittings being damaged if I heat new pipe into them?
Thanks for any help.
17025888273157249706329950894329.jpg

1000002438.jpg

Last edited:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
i'd cut below the low tee and above that tee. De-solder the lever handle valve and rebuilt back up. Slip coupling as needed.

Keep wet rag on hose bibb and that tee to avoid overheating the upper tee joint. Open the hose bibb to prevent melting the washer.
We don't solder at all anymore and propress everything.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
new hosebib and tee on the top and ballvalve , a couple of new short pieces of 1 inch copper. looks a little cleaner than repair coupling a little better job but nothing wrong with just using a coupling and re sweating those bits of 1 inch

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks