Advice needed on frost free spigot replacement/identification

Users who are viewing this thread

diy_virginian

Reaction score
Hi All,
Silly me left a hose reel connected to the exterior hose bib, causing a burst pipe inside the wall this winter. It leaks when the tap is opened.
I tried turning the fixture anti-clockwise hoping it will unscrew and be a quick replacement, but it kept spinning (like another post here).

This fixture is inside an interior wall, but the one on the other side of the house is visible from the basement. I've attached a photo.
Can an expert here advise me on how I can go about replacing this ? It appears to be a 1/2" PVC pipe glued to a brass coupling that is then soldered(?) to the spigot. This house in Virginia was built in 2018.
PXL_20240424_171427132.jpg

Here is the exterior hose bib, I can see the damaged metal pipe about an inch behind the siding.
PXL_20240420_210600906.jpg

PXL_20240421_135057627.jpg

PXL_20240421_135101763.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like a solid plan. Give the CPVC Lots of time to cure. Cut the pipe with a fine tooth saw rather than with a tubing cutter. Older CPVC becomes brittle.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi All,
Silly me left a hose reel connected to the exterior hose bib, causing a burst pipe inside the wall this winter. It leaks when the tap is opened.
I tried turning the fixture anti-clockwise hoping it will unscrew and be a quick replacement, but it kept spinning (like another post here).

This fixture is inside an interior wall, but the one on the other side of the house is visible from the basement. I've attached a photo.
Can an expert here advise me on how I can go about replacing this ? It appears to be a 1/2" PVC pipe glued to a brass coupling that is then soldered(?) to the spigot. This house in Virginia was built in 2018.
View attachment 98671

Here is the exterior hose bib, I can see the damaged metal pipe about an inch behind the siding.
View attachment 98672
View attachment 98673
View attachment 98674
1- CAREFULLY cut the CPVC
2- buy a WOODFORD brand hose bibb with a vacuum breaker (with a 4" shaft)
3- buy a 1/2" female thread x CPVC adapter
4- glue up a piece of 1/2" CPVC to the hose bibb (a little longer than you need)
5- stick the new makeup hose bibb into the hole and secure your screws
6- underneath - cut your pipe to length and glue a cpvc coupling in to make your final connection.

READ THE LABEL on your can of yellow cpvc cement. it will take A FULL HOUR to cure. give it time to cure before turning the water on to test. Yes - ALWAYS crawl back under to check for leaks. And yes, these goofy styrofoam covers are about the best $5-bucks you'll ever spend to protect your biggest investment.

1714829601260.png

diy_virginian

Reaction score
Wound up having to call a plumber ($200 including parts) as I could not reach the spigot that was in the interior wall.
He cut a hole in a basement bedroom closet and then later sealed that hole (drywall).

Apparently the way the previous spigot was connected it could spin when rotated without causing any extra leak.

Attachments

• spigot-fix_2024-05-10_10-00-27.jpg
    spigot-fix_2024-05-10_10-00-27.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 9
  • spigot fix2_2024-05-10_10-01-33.jpg
    spigot fix2_2024-05-10_10-01-33.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 10
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks