Recommendation for 14" Rough-in

Users who are viewing this thread

gw

Reaction score
I'm replacing an old toilet in a 14" rough-in. It is a small half bath, so I'm looking for a low profile toilet that preferably comes out no more than than 30 inches from the wall - 28 would be best. I prefer an elongated, ADA, HET (1.28 gpf) toilet, but Toto makes none (within budget) with the unifit system with all of these specs. I might be able to install an offset flange, but hear those are not code compliant.

So far I've considered:

TOTO Drake 2 piece - has the requisite ADA/HET, is priced decent and has the newer DC flush, but that would put the front edge at about 32 inches.
Vespin II - good ratings, ADA and 1.28 gpf
AS Compact Cadet 3 flowise - seen no reviews on this specific model.

Any recommendations on what to do/install?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Any 12" bowl will work on the 14"

The 14" just means it's out another 2" from the wall.

TOTO is the only manufacturer that pulls the bowl back 2" with their 14" Unifit
Comfort height in Toto that will do that are:
Guinevere, comes in a 1.28 gallon
Soiree

The Toto Aquia III would be 30" from the back wall on 14"
The Soiree would be 28-3/4" from the back wall on 14"
The Cadet would be 30-1/2" on 14"

Returns on Toto are almost unheard of.

Below is a toilet that does use the Unifit adapter.
The one pictured is the Toto Carlyle.

unifit_1.jpg

cst474_side.jpg

Toto Vespin II CST474CEFG with SS114 Softclose seat.
This bowl was installed on a 13-1/2" rough-in using the 14" Unifit adapter.
The water shutoff can be as close as 5-1/2" to the left of center, unless it's higher off the floor, and then it can be even closer to center.
This shutoff had been replaced with a new 1/4 turn valve with brass nipple through the wall.
Installation was by James Love of Love Plumbing & Remodel 206-949-5683
In some of the older Seattle homes, the old toilets had been wall mounted tank toilets.
Those typically are 14" rough-in and need a flange repair to use standard closet bolt connections at the flange.
Everything is on the truck for that.
The Vespin comes with a standard 12" adapter or you can order a 10" or 14" adapter depending on your rough-in distance.

Last edited:

gw

Reaction score
Thanks.

The Guinevere and Soiree are nice, but the price on those exceeds what I wanted to spend, particularly when you add in another $50-70 for a 14" unifit adapter.

The Aquia came up with much lower ratings - not sure how the III performs.

It is good to hear the Compact Cadet works well for Tomw. It seems like a bargain given the specs and price at the big box stores. There is just something about the styling, perhaps the front trip lever, that doesn't do it for me.

I bought an offset flange - debating whether to start chipping out tile and foundation to get it in there. Two plumbing clerks I spoke with didn't seem to think there is a real problem with code or with the thing clogging.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I bought an offset flange - debating whether to start chipping out tile and foundation to get it in there. Two plumbing clerks I spoke with didn't seem to think there is a real problem with code or with the thing clogging.

If you are doing the work yourself, then chipping tile and foundation would work.
If I were having to charge a customer, the price of moving the drain would make the deluxe versions of the Toto look inexpensive.
We spend more on upgrading the plumbing fixture, and less on moving the plumbing in the floor.

If it were not for the ADA requirment, options would have been
Vespin, 15-1/8" high bowl
Vespin II CST474CEFG, 16-1/8" high bowl.
Carrollton
Carlyle, 15-1/8" high bowl
Carlyle II, MS614114CEFG, 16-1/8" high bowl.
Carolina,

Performance on the CST464FM Aquia III is good. It only comes as a 12" rough.

cst474_side.jpg

Toto Vespin II CST474CEFG with SS114 Softclose seat.
This bowl was installed on a 13-1/2" rough-in using the 14" Unifit adapter.
The water shutoff can be as close as 5-1/2" to the left of center, unless it's higher off the floor, and then it can be even closer to center.
This shutoff had been replaced with a new 1/4 turn valve with brass nipple through the wall.
Installation was by James Love of Love Plumbing & Remodel 206-949-5683
In some of the older Seattle homes, the old toilets had been wall mounted tank toilets.
Those typically are 14" rough-in and need a flange repair to use standard closet bolt connections at the flange.
Everything is on the truck for that.
The Vespin comes with a standard 12" adapter or you can order a 10" or 14" adapter depending on your rough-in distance.

Last edited:

gw

Reaction score
Have you heard if anyone has had success swapping out the G-Max mechanism with E-Max on something like a Vespin? I'm wondering if that is a possibility for reducing water usage in the future.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Have you heard if anyone has had success swapping out the G-Max mechanism with E-Max on something like a Vespin? I'm wondering if that is a possibility for reducing water usage in the future.

The only difference is in the tank parts.
I still think the 1.6 is a good way to go if you aren't getting a rebate.
The bowl does stay a bit cleaner.

gw

Reaction score
Thought I'd post the resolution.

I broke out some tile and foundation and installed an offset flange. I then purchased a one-piece Gwyneth and installed it. It did require a thicker wax ring to seal right, but the result is it looks and works great! Much nicer look and flush than the Eco Drake I installed in the Master. Even thought it is supposed to be ADA, the seat height seems a little lower as well, which I prefer. It could be the included soft close seat is not as thick.

I'm not sure about the seat. It's plastic. It also seems to squeak when one sits on it. I might replace it with a good 'ole wood seat.

Attachments

• DSC00026.JPG
    DSC00026.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 409
  • DSC00027.JPG
    DSC00027.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 416

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Did you use the clear plastic pads under the seat mounting?
That is the only way it would squeak.

Use it for a few weeks before you change anything.
Then when you change back to wood, you will have an idea of how much better the softclose fits.
I can't use the wood seats anymore. Like sitting on a plank.

gw

Reaction score
The plastic pads were used indeed. The squeaks diminished after tightening the seat bolts some more, but it still seems to flex and squeak, and we're light to average weight folks. The plastic soft close seat does fit nicer than the wood seat the local Toto dealer sold us to go on the Drake we bought last year. We'll leave it alone for now.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
unifit_14_install.jpg

TOTO 14" Unifit adapter

ms614_side_3.jpg

Carlyle II MS614114CEFG installed on a 14" rough using the optional 14" Unifit.
This bathroom had a door that swung in, so shifting the bowl back 2" worked great. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks