Not sure which route to go for gas line??

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Gnfanatic, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Gnfanatic

Gnfanatic New Member

Hey guys, hope all is well :) I am converting my 12x10 breezeway into a kitchen. the breezeway is on a slab which is right next to the house foundation/basement. I need to run a gas line to the other side of the breezeway for the gas stove. What would be the best route?? Cutting into the slab and running a plastic gas pipe OR running black pipe through the attic , down the wall?? The attic is completely exposed (no sheetrock or insulation currently). I need to cut into the slab for the sink drain anyways but not sure what to do with the gas.

I appreciate your help!
    Ralph
  2. MACPLUMB 777

MACPLUMB 777 TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP

Take gas pipe overhead,
    never ! Ever ! Under concrete
  3. Gnfanatic

Gnfanatic New Member

That is what i thought. Obv a few 90 degree and 45 degree bends is going to effect pressure. will 3/4 in line be fine for a 4 burner stove??

thanks!
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

May I assume you are pulling permits for this addition? Does your state, county, and/or state allow you to do gas work? Many places are very touchy about these things. If you do your own work without a permit, you could very well have a problem with your insurance. The advice given is correct, but you could be headed for problems.
  5. Gnfanatic

Gnfanatic New Member

Hey Gary, yes i am. I am doing the rough work and will have the plumber connect it to the main line and pressure test it. thanks :)
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The city is allowing you to build a room "addition" to the house on a concrete slab that does not have a foundation and footing, which few carport slabs have? I would never let the customer install a gas line because when I test it, it might have to take it apart to repair leaking joints. There are ways to run a gas line under concrete, but they are very specific and expensive, so they are usually only used for natural gas to an island cooktop.
  7. bluebinky

bluebinky Member

You will have to recalculate the sizing all the way back to the meter. 3/4", or even 1/2", may be enough, or you may have to replace some or all of the existing pipes to make it right. Can't say without a diagram of what you have. There is a simple procedure spelled out in the code book for figuring this out.

Also, I would leave the combination of plastic+gas to the pros -- including not some handyman at $8/hour.

Assuming you are allowed to, I wouldn't even think about touching any gas piping until after reading, understanding, and then re-reading the code plumbing code. After that, be sure to pull permits and have your work inspected...

All that said, gas piping isn't that hard for a skilled DIYer (after a lot of learning up-front).
  8. Gnfanatic

Gnfanatic New Member

thanks guys. HJ, this is a 6 inch slab. many houses are built on a slab and of course it has a footing.
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Here, the majority of houses are "built on a slab", but most carport slabs do NOT have foundations, other than "pads" for the support columns.
  10. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

A foundation goes below the frost line. I would guess that New Jersey has a more stringent code for foundations because of the colder weather.
  11. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

hj's comments, which mirror my experience....admittely not east coast/cold weather experience.....is that patios, breeseways, etc are not built on the same 'quality' of slab structure as the house itself. I guess you have...or will....verify all this.