Is it ok to Modify Gas Pipe Line behind the Gas Range in this way

Users who are viewing this thread

tester22

Reaction score
Hi guys, I don't have Gas Shut Off Valve easily to Turn Off Gas in case Gas Leak in Emergency situation, so I want to modify the black Iron Gas Pipe behind the Range in this way, so that Shut Off Valve install behind the Stove 4 or 5 foot above and every one in Home easily Shut Off in Emergency.
I am worry about this is 1/2" Pipe line, if I make this many Bends in Pipes, then it is going to decrease GAS PRESSURE, so I am not weather is this good idea or not.
Please make me correct, still can I get same good Gas pressure like 7 WC (water column), after modifying Gas Pipe line behind the Range or my Gas Pressure decrease and it is not good idea.
Let me know please.

Attachments

• PIC_3646.JPG
    PIC_3646.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 84

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
The proper, desirable and required way is to have accessible shut-off valve in cabinet beside the appliance.
What you illustrate certainly will work but is grossly unsightly. Pressure will not be affected.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
NO way would this be a good idea. If you want to be able to shut it off in an emergency then it needs to be placed somewhere where you don't have to reach over FLAMES to shut it off.

If you do attempt this foolish plan, adding a bunch of elbows won't affect the gas pressure enough to adversely affect the stove.

If you truly wanted an effective emergency shut off you're way better off to install it so the handle is accessible from under the stove at the front or as Breplum mentions in the cabinet next to the stove.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I really dont want to be pulling a stove afire away from the wall and reach behind it on fire either . beside the cabinet is a good idea . Mostly Id say the way we plumb them is just about as foolish as his plan the old days we could rough in a litle higher most are like 6 inches off the floor now behind I could see someone thinking that the way 9) plus percent are plumbed as being foolish too but our Plumbing codes love it, as do just about everyone in the industry

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
We have been plumbing our refrigerator water supplies with remote shut offs for years now. We always install a valve under the kitchen sink that controls the water to the refrigerator.. Might need to start looking at how to have a similar functionality for the stove..

I was going to suggest an earthquake valve for an emergency shut off... all you would need to do is kick or bang on it.. don't really need to understand how it works.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Kitchen fire extinguisher and fire blanket is better protection than shutting the gas off. Many articles written about kitchen fires.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Kitchen fire extinguisher and fire blanket is better protection than shutting the gas off. Many articles written about kitchen fires.
I was thinking the same thing.. as long as you know how to use a fire extinguisher.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks