Want to replace water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Bill11

Reaction score
We just moved a couple of months ago. The water heater is located on the far side of the basement from the highest usage (kitchen, laundry, powder room, and pipes going up to master bath). The main issue is that it takes a few minutes to get hot water up to the master bathroom. Also, the existing water heater is 90 gallon electric installed in 2009. I'm thinking about installing a new water heater right under the kitchen that would reduce the hot water run by 40-50 feet of pipe. There are two bathrooms that are closer to the existing water heater that would increase the run by about 25 feet, but those bathrooms are rarely used (only when we have guests).

Question 1: Hybrid or electric? I'm leaning toward hybrid, but would like to hear some real world experiences. We do have propane, but not sure I want to go there for the new water heater. The water heater will be in an open basement and will be next to a dual fuel propane furnace.

Question 2: Would there is any issues if I left the old water heater in place as an emergency backup? The water shutoffs would be closed, drained, and power off.

Thanks.

Bill11

Reaction score
question 2 Id be concerned with how to store the tank . bacteria etc. growth. look into that
Yeah, I guess that could be an issue, unless the tank was completely drained.

I was thinking about just closing the shutoff valves and draining the tank.

Sarg

Enjoy Learning
Reaction score
I will always stay with electric. They are much easier to maintain. You can replace the elements... vacuum out the tank through the bottom element hole with a wet vac and also monitor your anode rod through the same hole.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks