Moen Shower Cartridge Removal Tool

Users who are viewing this thread

Bigclange22

Reaction score
Ok i just scraped enough money to remodel my master bathroom. I gut the thing last year, and have not done anything since then. So I just finished installing new shower pan, and walls, and then I go to put new handle on my moen faucet, and It would not do anything, I could not turn it or pull it, or push it.
So I go to home depot, and they sell me a single handle replacement cartridge, Says it easy to do. I get home, read instructions and go to pull out cartridge, and nothing, So I pull even harder, and I pull the guts of the of cartridge out, but not the brass sleeve. I went back to store bought a Cartridge puller, but it is the type that screws into the screw hole that the shower handle screws into,(which is the guts) So this does absolutly no good, I tried to spin it with the brass tabs, and they both broke off. So I am stuck with water off, and new shower walls all screwed and liquid nailed into place, what are my options now? Does anyone think the other "T" style puller may work? I am so screwed if i cant get this all figured out.

Here is the puller I bought, and did not work. (It just pulled the guts out)

Do you think I have a chance with one of these?

moen-cartridge-puller-1.jpg

one

moen_puller_2.jpg

two

moen_puller_3.jpg

three

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigclange22

Reaction score
I got the "T" style wrench, and got it in place, it broke the little knob off the end of it. I ended up cutting a hole big enough aound valve to use a mini pipe cutter and cut the 2 water lines and shower line. I then bought a new moen shower package which came with a posi temp rough in. I called around to different plumbing supply houses, and was just about same price for a whole new kit (rough in, shower head, shoer arm, knob & lever, and new plate, I boght a repair plate (which is bigger) to cover where I had to cut hole bigger, But I sweat all th ecopper on rough in then made the connections to the water lines and shower with sharkbite fittings. That way i had no need to put a flame behind wall. The sharkbite fittings are so neat. check them out.
They are like chinese handcuffs. check them out here:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score

Bigclange22

Reaction score
So you couldn't get the replacement cartridge out
So you turn around & install the same Mfg's valve?
Think maybe another problem in the future when the cartridge wears out again?

I did install another Moen faucet, I figured the last one lasted since 1978 when the house was built. I can only hope that the new one last 30 years.
I more than likely wont be living here, and it will be the next owners problem,,,,lol But now my main bathroom is having faucet problems and its the same Moen faucet, however I am only having problems with the hot water not wanting to have any pressure. The cold has alot of pressure, and this just started yesterday. Could the cartridge just be clogged on hot water side? Hot works full blast in new shower and in sinks. Will check back, just ranting and raving.....lol

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Moen

And if you had called a competent plumber he would probably have extracted the old cartridge in a matter of minutes. Then you would not have had to buy a new valve, and Sharkbites, Then spend the time to install it. If you had not used Sharkbites you might not have had to make the opening larger. This might have been a case of, "I am going to do it myself if it kills me, or takes all week. And quit hollering that you are thirsty. I will turn the water back on when I am good and ready."

index.php

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Coulod the cartrige just be clogged on hot water side?
I highly doubt it. The pressure balancing spool is stuck, not allowing the pressure to balance out between hot and cold.

To Fix:

For a Posi-Temp replace the cartridge

For the Moentrol, remove the balancing spool located to the right side of the cartridge (about 1" diameter flat screw type). The spool should oscillate back and forth very smoothly when you shake it like salt shaker. Use silicone grease . If the grease does not work, replace the spool with a new one

moen-1222-pulled.jpg

Svengally1

Reaction score
A way to remove the moen no. 1225 cartridge jacket is go to Sears and buy a #5 Screw Extractor. This will cost you about $3.59 plus tax. Before you head to Sears, spray some vinegar and water or some CLR inside and around the cartridge jacket. This will soften the years of calcium bond that has been created. When you return, tap the screw extractor into the hole (gently) just enough for it to bite a little, then take a rachet with a drive to the end of the screw extractor and twist the jacket loose. (This is a much quicker method than the dowel, tap and thread method mentioned.) It only takes about 15 minutes to pop out the jacket and then insert the new cartridge. Make sure you use some water grease (not pertroleum grease) on the new gasket. Slide it in and then make sure you pop the clip in. You might have to test it to make sure you have hot on the left and cold on the right. If not, turn off the water, take out the clip again and twist it around inside then put the clip back in.
You should be good to go!

moen1225.gif

moen-1200-1225.jpg

Zelskid

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
Moen cartridge removal trick

When the inner stem part comes out, leaving the core behind, you use the special t shaped tool with the spring loaded pin. As described in someone else's posts, it either works or is stuck in the core. I usually can get it out by rotating before pulling on the t handle. When I pull and can't get it to budge, I have developed a trick. I use a tool called a a tie rod or ball joint removal tool found in auto part stores. It is a rod with a two tine fork at the end that has wedge shaped tines. I fill most of the space from the tee to the body of the valve with open end wrenches. I slide the tool in and tap it down to spread the wrenches apart thereby pulling on the core
Paul zelskid @hotmail.com

http://www.autopart.com
Ball joint removal tool

moen-2600-cartridge-stuck.jpg

The inner core came out, but the outer shell is still stuck in there.

Danielm

Reaction score
We have 4 Moen 4600 faucets in our house. House built in 1969. One just started to leak and so I took it apart and pulled out the core of the cartridge leaving the sleave behind. I then broke off the ears of the old sleeve trying to pull it out. At that point I was just going to buy a new faucet but I decided to come find a forum which lead me here. SewerRatz post from 12/25/08 above made my day!! I bought a 3/8 dowel rod, cut 1.5 inch piece then used a 1/2 tap (the inexpensive T&D set that I bought did not have a 5/8) and I backed out the old ugly looking sleeve in about 2 minutes. I cleaned out the metal shavings, applied some plumber's grease to the cartridge, inserted it into the faucet and we have running water in that sink again. If any of the other three 4600 cartridges go bad before we remodel then I am set. Thank you very very much!!!! Dan

Last edited:

irishmcme

Reaction score
Help!!!!

I'm a single woman trying like heck to remove a Moen cartridge......
It's a Moen Chateau sink faucet. I removed the retaining ring and I sprayed vinegar inside. I've tried all day long to pull that thing out and it will not come out!!!!
I'm ready to take the pliers and just start swinging if I wasn't so tired from pulling on this thing......

Any suggestions???? I mean, even if I buy a tool I don't think I have enough strength to do the job!!

Little angry Irish lady in California... :D

Redfox

Retired Engineer
Reaction score
Moen Tub Faucet Problem - No hot water

I get only cold water for my shower/bath. It's a single handle Moen posi (something) valve with a single handle operator. Question: Ok. The water is turned off and everything removable from the front is removed. Will repressuring the system "blow out" the barrel (extra pressure can be applied with air)? If this works then there is no "pulling" of any of the insides. Naturally, the shower head has to be removed and the outlet capped.
If this will work there may be leaking at the spot where the "U-shaped" clamp is located, which means the water/air have to be shut off very quickly.

Redfox

Retired Engineer
Reaction score
The answer to my post may answer others questions. Also, air pressure can be admitted through the outlet for the shower.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
On the "no hot water" for the Moen tub shower.
If you pull the cartridge, you can inspect to see if there is any dirt lodged in there.

One time, I had fluctuating temps with a Moen valve, it turned out to be a small plastic ball in the line, it may have come from the water heater "heat trap" nipples.
It would bounce around inside the pipes.

moen-2600-parts.jpg

Last edited:

8950LX

Reaction score
Moen shower faucet hard to turn off

I'm also at the point where I have to remove the sleeve from my faucet.

The problem I'm having is the faucet is incredibly hard to turn after 5-10min. of shower use. No leaks or drips, just very difficult to push in/off. The inner cartridge appears to be in decent shape. Any suggestions as to what would cause this? thanks in advance for any and all help.

pipepusher

master plumber/gas fitter
Reaction score
Moen cartridge removal

A pipe easyout or a straight blade screwdriver works for me. Don't even own a regular moen puller. A couple of times I have removed the spout and used a little heat to remove a stubborn cartridge. Like Redwood said just rotate it to loosen it and then pull it out .

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Moen

I seem to be reading tales from some "lucky people" who managed to wrest their Moen cores out without destroying the body. Unfortunately, others who try the same methods might not be so lucky. The proper tools, and the knowledge of how to use them, are critical in most cases. I have had to replace valves that were destroyed by "creative" DIYers trying to improvise their own methods of extraction. It did not make them feel any better when I told them it would have only taken a few minutes and a lot less of my time and their money, if they had called BEFORE starting, or at least stopped two minutes before the reached "their level of incompetence".

im5150too

Reaction score
Well, I'm another hopeful Moen positemp cartridge replacer.....

Managed to get the old one out, after buying the tool. Put the new one back in, no problem. However, with the cartridge all the way in, (as near as I can tell), I'm unable to get the horseshoe shaped pin all the way in enough to slide the housing back over it. I can see the little grooves it's supposed to slide into, but the cartridge doesn't seem to be quite far enough in for the ears to slide into the grooves.

Any pointers?

Walds11

Reaction score
I had the same problem with a 1225 cartridge for my shower. Hard to explain, but before you put the cartridge all the way in, pull the plunger piece (not sure exactly what it's called) out a little bit. This should seat the cartridge in far enough so you can insert the horseshoe pin in correctly. It took me a while to figure this out, trial and error. I am a novice :)

Well, I'm another hopeful Moen positemp cartridge replacer.....

Managed to get the old one out, after buying the tool. Put the new one back in, no problem. However, with the cartridge all the way in, (as near as I can tell), I'm unable to get the horseshoe shaped pin all the way in enough to slide the housing back over it. I can see the little grooves it's supposed to slide into, but the cartridge doesn't seem to be quite far enough in for the ears to slide into the grooves.

Any pointers?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks