Low flow toilet problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

mezzo

Reaction score
i had a low flow toilet installed in basement apartment several years ago and we seem to get more backups than usual in the main trap. there never seems to be anything other than toilet paper blocking trap. i know my family is not using more toilet paper than usual so is it possible that the low flow toilet does not have enough pressure to push toilet paper through trap? did anyone else ever have this problem?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The building trap?
We don't have those in the Seattle area. Normally we worry about the trapway in the bowl, which may have been slowed down by objects that never made it through.

If you are having problems with drain line carry, with paper hanging at it leaves the foundation of the building, then maybe something with a 3" flush valve or pressure assist.

mezzo

Reaction score
thanks for answering terry. i am talking about a private home and the main drain line trap where it enters and exits

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Normally there should not be a trap in the drain line after waste leaves the toilet. There should be ¼ inch fall per foot in the drain line with no sags in the pipe.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd get rid of that house trap. That may or may not be the problem here, but house traps are eventually bad news.

mezzo

Reaction score
when i suggested getting rid of the trap the plumber told me that it prevents backups from the street and/or rodents from entering home (i live in new york).

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks