Low flo toilet problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Tomule

Reaction score
About a year ago I changed the two toilets in my house to low-flo toilets. The problem isn’t with the toilets, the flush perfectly. The problem is about two months after the toilets were installed, the main drain backed up and flooded the basement. I had a plumber come out and cleared the drain. Then a couple months later it happened again. It’s happened five times in the last year. The next to last t it happened, the water drained out the floor drain in the basement before the plumber got here. We ran a lot of wat down the drain via flushing and the washing machine and there was no backup. Yesterday when it happened I used a plunger on the floor drain . after a couple of plunges, the water drained. Once again I ran a lot of water and everything is fine. As of typing this today there has been a problem.
Could this be a problem with the toilets? We have lived here 20 years and never had a problem with the main drain until we changed the toilets.The toilets are American Standard 2961A104SC.20
Thanks in advance for any help
Tom

BECplumbing

Plumbing Apprentice
Reaction score
About a year ago I changed the two toilets in my house to low-flo toilets. The problem isn’t with the toilets, the flush perfectly. The problem is about two months after the toilets were installed, the main drain backed up and flooded the basement. I had a plumber come out and cleared the drain. Then a couple months later it happened again. It’s happened five times in the last year. The next to last t it happened, the water drained out the floor drain in the basement before the plumber got here. We ran a lot of wat down the drain via flushing and the washing machine and there was no backup. Yesterday when it happened I used a plunger on the floor drain . after a couple of plunges, the water drained. Once again I ran a lot of water and everything is fine. As of typing this today there has been a problem.
Could this be a problem with the toilets? We have lived here 20 years and never had a problem with the main drain until we changed the toilets.The toilets are American Standard 2961A104SC.20
Thanks in advance for any help
Tom

Do you have cast iron pipe. Often there is not enough drain line carry in some of the new toilets to push things down the cast iron pipe. A potential solution could be to get a pressure assist toilet as they have more drain line carry.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks