Toilet with more water flow?

Users who are viewing this thread

EGmwater

Reaction score
We have a rental house, about 50 years old, one story. We've had several sewer back ups the last several months, was cleaned again today and they ran a camera through, no broken or misaligned pipes. Toilet on main/first floor drains straight down to basement, another toilet located at basement floor there (not used), then longer run underneath basement floor and out to the street. Sewer/camera guy advises we need more water to carry the waste on the run under the basement floor. I found similar problems when searching which I'm including below. I'll put a 1.6 upstairs, should I install Drake, Champion 4, or Sloan with pressure assist?
Thanks!

Author: Dumbijiot (DC)
My issue isn't the toilet clogs, it's that there isn't enough water flowing down to clear the pipes resulting in unpleasantness. Is there a define way to make more water flow without multiple flushes?

Re: Converting low flow toilet to regular flow​
Author: Wadetheplumber (GA)
More water does matter. I camera sewers every day and the problem is almost always related to water flow. 1.6 gallons is not enough to carry solid waste the appropriate distance to make it to the sewer main in the street. I have on numerous occasions taken a five gallon bucket with 2 gallons in it and flushed and dumped the bucket at the same time and the solids are gone. The toilet isnt the problem. The amount of water is.

Re: Converting low flow toilet to an increased flow​
Author: bldgmanager (IA)
Boy, you are correct. More water when the toilet is a long distance from the sewer outlet to street. Just had two new 1.6 GPF put in and problems immediately. Solved problem on second day. I got some tight fitting hose to go over overflow pipe, thus extending it by 2". While we also moved up to the 4" flush value the combination of the two did the job of increasing water flow. I was lucky enough that my new inflow value had enough room to get more water. If you do not have this option, buy and install one of those flow values that all hardware stores have. Very pleased now. These two new 1.6 toilets, are in basement of a commercial bldg and farthest from stree outlet, thus needed and got increased water flow.

Peterson

Reaction score
I would probably get shot for saying this, but I'd be tempted to go to a salvage yard and get an older high flow toilet, clean it up/rebuild it and install it.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
50 year old home you probably have cast iron pipes to the street. PVC would not have a problem. Did the plumber think the slope is correct. Too much slope liquids will flow faster than the solids.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Possibly you can install a storm line such as a yard drain to help flush the line during a heavy rain.

Some places this is not legal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks