Load groan when water is turned on

Users who are viewing this thread

ThePounder

Reaction score
Hello, I have a loud groaning sound when I turn on the water. It lasts for 1-3 seconds and happens when ever I flush the toilet, or open the sink or shower valve. Research led me to believe the pressure is too high, so I reduced the pressure via the PRV. This worked initially, but within 24 hours the loud groan returned. I reduced the pressure some more, but still have the groaning most of the time (and now then water pressure is borderline too low, I have not checked the actual pressure with a gauge yet). I cant really reduce the pressure anymore, so any ideas of why this is still happening.

If it matters, I have some copper and some PEX in the house.

Thanks!

ThePounder

Reaction score
Sometimes it's the PRV, how old is yours?
I think it was installed when I added a second story and redid a lot of the plumbing about 4 years ago. It looks fairly new, I didnt look close enough at the tag on it to see if there is a date. I will add that this problem first started 6-8 months ago.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I picked up a PRV for my home and added the pressure gauge to it. If your PRV is a recent one, you might be able to get a rebuild kit for it. I have found with some that when you play with the adjustment, it can make it quiet for a bit. It is the one thing that all the water passes through.

pressure-gauge-ashcroft.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks