Load groan when water is turned on

Users who are viewing this thread

ThePounder

Reaction score
Hello, I have a loud groaning sound when I turn on the water. It lasts for 1-3 seconds and happens when ever I flush the toilet, or open the sink or shower valve. Research led me to believe the pressure is too high, so I reduced the pressure via the PRV. This worked initially, but within 24 hours the loud groan returned. I reduced the pressure some more, but still have the groaning most of the time (and now then water pressure is borderline too low, I have not checked the actual pressure with a gauge yet). I cant really reduce the pressure anymore, so any ideas of why this is still happening.

If it matters, I have some copper and some PEX in the house.

Thanks!

ThePounder

Reaction score
Sometimes it's the PRV, how old is yours?
I think it was installed when I added a second story and redid a lot of the plumbing about 4 years ago. It looks fairly new, I didnt look close enough at the tag on it to see if there is a date. I will add that this problem first started 6-8 months ago.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I picked up a PRV for my home and added the pressure gauge to it. If your PRV is a recent one, you might be able to get a rebuild kit for it. I have found with some that when you play with the adjustment, it can make it quiet for a bit. It is the one thing that all the water passes through.

pressure-gauge-ashcroft.jpg