Kitchen double sink plumbing question

Users who are viewing this thread

GG45

Reaction score
My contractor just finished installing the new double sink in the kitchen and the sink got clogged today. There is water backed up in the sink and the dishwasher smells really bad. I know nothing about plumbing but could you tell if the drain line is properly installed? Thank you so much!

Attachments

• 20150126_202018.jpg
    20150126_202018.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 579
  • 20150126_202006.jpg
    20150126_202006.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 3,243

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Without an air gap for the dishwasher, everytime the sink backs up some, it's going to drain down into the dishwasher. You can add an air-gap, or at least take the tubing and loop it as high as you can under the cabinet. An air-gap is above the counter top.

Those fittings on the sink drain are pretty tight. I'm not surprised it's having a hard time draining.

GG45

Reaction score
Without an air gap for the dishwasher, everytime the sink backs up some, it's going to drain down into the dishwasher. You can add an air-gap, or at least take the tubing and loop it as high as you can under the cabinet. An air-gap is above the counter top.

Those fittings on the sink drain are pretty tight. I'm not surprised it's having a hard time draining.

I don't have a hole cut out for an air-gap on the counter top. Can I still add an air-gap? If not, how to loop it high? Can I do it myself or I have to hire a plumber?

What do you mean by tight? What's the correct way of doing it?

Sorry for the ignorance..Thanks much!

GG45

Reaction score
NO! The tee is the wrong one, but then ANY tee would be the wrong one to do it that way. The "horizontal" steel pipe is going "uphill".

What would be the correct way of doing it?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like your plumber is a gas man. I would run an end-outlet waste into one trap on the left side using slip joint parts. There are some hard turns in the existing setup. Probably survive a nuclear explosion, though.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The drain outlet in the wall is too high for a conventional end outlet waste. I cannot tell you HOW it should be done, because the parameters are such that I would almost have to fit it as I go, but almost anything would be better than what he has there. However, I might start with a double "Y" at the wall opening and work from there.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Lowe's has a reversible p-trap that might work for you. Or used to. Haven't been able to find one there lately. It says: "with Marvel Connector", on the bag and costs ten bucks instead of four.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
"Low inlet traps" have exactly the same insertion into the inlet as a conventional trap when you reverse the "J" bend and are just as likely to come apart if you bump them.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Down near the bottom of the cabinet it looks like there is part of an old drain. I was wondering if where the pipe is connected was supposed to be the vent or an AAV. Maybe the other drain was just too low and it was raised?
To answer your question about how to do a high loop. The drain pipe from the dishwasher looks like it comes in the cabinet down low and goes up and attaches to the drain. To make a high loop the drain pipe from the dish washer should come into the cabinet and then go all the way up to the inside top of the cabinet and attach it to the underside of the cabinet and then the pipe connects to the drain pipe.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
"Low inlet traps" have exactly the same insertion into the inlet as a conventional trap when you reverse the "J" bend and are just as likely to come apart if you bump them.
On this trap you can slide tubular 1.5 into the J-bend like an inch deep on the short side of the fitting. It come with a wall tube to match that connection.

GG45

Reaction score
I wonder who or why they capped the original lower drain connection. Yes, it's low but doesn't look too low.
I think it's for the dishwasher. Since I don't have a are gap on the counter top, he skipped it and connected the drain from dishwasher directly to the sink drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks