Installing a handheld shower with Ell (Newbie)

Users who are viewing this thread

hayley3

Reaction score
I bought a Moen handheld shower and it uses an Ell. I'm nervous about what I"m going to find when I remove the shower arm from the pipe behind the wall, if I can even do that. I'm following the instructions from this web page:
Remove the existing showerhead, if there is one, by unscrewing it from the shower arm using adjustable pliers or your hand. Slide off the escutcheon and unscrew the shower arm from the female threaded fitting behind the wall, using adjustable pliers.

So I'm wondering why I can't just remove the existing showerhead and then screw the hose onto that? I've not got a lot of strength so worrying I might not be able to loosen the shower arm. Or is there a tool that might help with that?

Thanks,
Cheryl

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can thread onto the end of the shower arm, or you can remove the shower arm and use the new part.
When I'm removing an old shower arm, I like to leave the head on for more leverage.

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
omg thank you so much! It worked..I was so nervous. lol

Moen-23015SRN-rw-213146-335252.jpg

Is this what you installed? How is the pressure?

hayley3

Reaction score
I attached the hose directly to the shower arm. The slide bar, which is attached to the wall, holds the shower head. It slides up and down so you can adjust the height. I'm still waiting for the drill bit. I didn't have a 5/8 inch .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks