Indoor sewer backflow valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Tjvelcro

Reaction score
Hi all,

Any idea how I can open my sewer back-flow valve? I just want to see if its indeed installed and if its clean. See pic attached but I see no screws or handles to pull on. I looks kind of dirty with dust and various debris from general sweeping from the previous owners. Any advice would be appreciated.

DSC02341.JPG

Tjvelcro

Reaction score
Thanks for the direction, yes that looks just like the one I have! I was able to remove it using a 2x4 as the following thread suggested.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/backwater-valve-cover-stuck.28800/

So I got it off, however now I wonder what exactly its protecting. I ran a nearby sink and a toilet on another floor but I don't see the waste water flowing at all! The only other water enabled device (in basement) is the clothes washer. I did not test with that yet since I don't need to do laundry yet. I washed the cap and the pipe leading down to the valve. Is having a sewer blackflow valve for a subset of waste water very common? Below is a pic.

DSC02345.JPG

Tjvelcro

Reaction score
Its a basement. Well maybe tomorrow I will try my clothes washer since its in the basement but the basement sink beside washer did not cause any water to flow. I suppose now that I think about it even if there is flooding of city sewer causing a backup it could only reach the basement since the pipes for the city are underground and my basement is also underground but the other water fixtures are higher then ground level so it would be very rare to be under that much pressure.

Reach4

Reaction score
Note that these are almost guaranteed to not seal well with time. Yes, it would be good to know which water it is carrying. If there are sewer backups, even rarely, in your neighborhood, more effective measures are available.

Tjvelcro

Reaction score
Hmm well I did a load of wash today and I cannot see any water flowing... perhaps I will speak with my neighbors that are attached to me on one side and ask them if they know since they have been there for 12 years. I will also ask them about the flooding. Not a big deal I guess but still puzzling.

Oh and thanks for the responses.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks