Sewer line clean out is getting blocked

Users who are viewing this thread

niko7099

Reaction score
I had a plumber do this but i dont think this is done right. if you see the picture from the wall . The sewer line is coming out of the house and then it takes a left.. The plumber looks like put a Y there so there can be a cleanout.. When it blocked up, feeces was coming out of the clean out. I think the Y is forcing stuff out of the cleanout... The other left part of the Y goes into another sewer line that is coming straight under it.
When it was blocked up, the straight sewer line (which you cant see) is which under the Y was not blocked up.

I feel this cleanout and using a Y is wrong and it can force stuff up the clean out.. I think the cleanout should have been built from a straight vertical. the plumber may have used a Y as its more easer to go down to the house. appreciate any thoughts on this ? it has only clogged up once, but this apartment is not used that much...

Attachments

• 20231125_130341_small.jpg
    20231125_130341_small.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 20231125_130353_small.jpg
    20231125_130353_small.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20231125_130322_small.jpg
    20231125_130322_small.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 20231125_130338_small.jpg
    20231125_130338_small.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 46

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
looks like the clean out is to clean upstream rather than typical down stream. looks really shallow I think a clean out tee on its back with a yard box to access would be better just one idea . As far as that being legal I dout it I would not conider this and agree with You Niko its hack !

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Should have been a double cleanout. Basically a long sweep wye in both directions. And I believe Jeff is correct, that the intention was to clean out towards the house.

Is that a septic tank right next to the cleanout?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The only time we do this (put the wye in backwards) the wye is completely vertical. With it on its side and backward it isn't helping much.

We sometimes put a wye in backward with another in correctly so they are back to back and the whole main can be accessed. But laying them on their side like that isn't good.

niko7099

Reaction score
looks like the clean out is to clean upstream rather than typical down stream. looks really shallow I think a clean out tee on its back with a yard box to access would be better just one idea . As far as that being legal I dout it I would not conider this and agree with You Niko its hack !
there is a another clean out a feet away for the other direction.. this cleanout was for going into the house...

niko7099

Reaction score
thanks for all the responses... do you guys agree that such a Y design could cause feeces and other stuff to come through the cleanout . the Y was intended by the plumber to allow a easier access to cleanout towards the house.
if you can provide comments on the they bad design is causing feeces to get stuck in the cleanout, i can go back and tell the plumber he did it the wrong way.. thanks

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
We have all expressed opinion that its a Shitty way to plumb (pun intended) and the correct way is noted in comments

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks