Backwater valve cover stuck

Users who are viewing this thread

emsote

Reaction score
Please help!!! The plumber checked with his camera and told me my backwater valve is not functioning properly. I sent him home with $275 and began the chore of cutting into the laminate to reveal the valve. My basement finishers told me it was not a problem to cover it!!!! Anyway, the house is 8 yrs old and the cover has never been removed and now it is very stuck!!! Any ideas how to loosen it? I've tried wrenches and hammers. Here is a picture.

Thanks

Attachments

• 100_1454.jpg
    100_1454.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 3,362

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The cover turns to open.
Thats about all I can tell you...
I have always found a way...

What do flooring installers know about plumbing anyway?:mad:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

1. Why was the valve covered with the flooring in the first place.
2. I could have told you the BWV was probably not working without the $275.00 camera. But at least the camera told you where it was if you did not already know.
2a. If the backwater valve had been working and the camera guy had moved his camera past it, you would be opening the BWV so he could get his camera back.
3. As a rule, ALL backwater valves are inoperative within a few years after installation.
4. WE cannot tell you how to remove it, but if we were there we would find a way.

emsote

Reaction score
It is still stuck. I must be the only person in the world to have a stuck cover. I even contacted the manufacturer. I really don't want to call another plumber and hand him over another chunk of money. Does anybody have any ideas at all?

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Bwv

It is one of those things that if we were there to actually see it, the answer might be obvious. With those four indents, it might turn if you drift it with a hammer and chisel. Or make a spanner with a piece of metal the correct thickness to fit into the grooves, and cut an "inverted U" out of the middle so it fits into the notches on either side. THen use a wrench on the spanner to turn it.

emsote

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. The manufacturer suggested standing a piece of wood (2x4) in the hole and twisting and it actually worked!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks