How much of sewer line to replace?

Users who are viewing this thread

J.Btfsplk

Reaction score
How-do, all.

I've been working on replacing my failing clay sewer line (roots, roots, so dang many roots....) and am hoping the collective wisdom here can help me sort a couple things.

My sewer line set-up is like this - working from the line outside the house to inside the house crawlspace: giant 8"+ clay pipe transitions to a 4" iron pipe about 18" before the line goes under the foundation. (Assuming it's iron? It has major exterior corrosion...) The iron pipe connects to some fittings, probably iron, and then, when it surfaces in the crawlspace, it connects to a section of copper pipe. Unfortunately, the copper has a solid green patina on it (see pics below) - though I haven't seen any evidence of actual water leakage (could be my observations skills, though). That section of copper feeds into a bronze sanitary tee.

The question: Originally thought I would cut back all the iron and connect the new PVC to that section of copper. But seeing that green corrosion on the copper made me wonder if I should cut out that copper, too. What do y'all think? And, if I should take out the copper section, any recommendations on how to transition between 4" PVC and the bronze san-tee?

Another question: There are quite a few patches of green corrosion on different parts of the copper piping. Are these all just leaks waiting to happen and should be replaced? From the times I've been crawling around there, everything has seemed dry.

Fig. 1 - Sewer line is parallel to tape measure.
CroppedSewerLine-1.jpg

Fig. 2 - Another view of the sewer line where copper meets bronze san tee
CroppedSewerLine-2b.jpg

Fig. 3 - Some green corrosion
CroppedSewerLine-3b.jpg

Fig. 4 - Some more green corrosion...
CroppedSewerLine-4b.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the pics, hope they give enough info.

Thanks for any advice y'all might have.
And tremendous gratitude to Terry Love, may he rest in peace, for creating this amazing resource.

Attachments

• SewerLine-2.jpg
    SewerLine-2.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 59

J.Btfsplk

Reaction score
How-do, all.

I've been working on replacing my failing clay sewer line (roots, roots, so dang many roots....) and am hoping the collective wisdom here can help me sort a couple things.

My sewer line set-up is like this - working from the line outside the house to inside the house crawlspace: giant 8"+ clay pipe transitions to a 4" iron pipe about 18" before the line goes under the foundation. (Assuming it's iron? It has major exterior corrosion...) The iron pipe connects to some fittings, probably iron, and then, when it surfaces in the crawlspace, it connects to a section of copper pipe. Unfortunately, the copper has a solid green patina on it (see pics below) - though I haven't seen any evidence of actual water leakage (could be my observations skills, though). That section of copper feeds into a bronze sanitary tee.

The question: Originally thought I would cut back all the iron and connect the new PVC to that section of copper. But seeing that green corrosion on the copper made me wonder if I should cut out that copper, too. What do y'all think? And, if I should take out the copper section, any recommendations on how to transition between 4" PVC and the bronze san-tee?

Another question: There are quite a few patches of green corrosion on different parts of the copper piping. Are these all just leaks waiting to happen and should be replaced? From the times I've been crawling around there, everything has seemed dry.

Fig. 1 - Sewer line is parallel to tape measure.
View attachment 94422

Fig. 2 - Another view of the sewer line where copper meets bronze san tee
View attachment 94424
Fig. 3 - Some green corrosion
View attachment 94425
Fig. 4 - Some more green corrosion...
View attachment 94426

Sorry about the quality of the pics, hope they give enough info.

Thanks for any advice y'all might have.
And tremendous gratitude to Terry Love, may he rest in peace, for creating this amazing resource.
<<aha! made it through the two--day 1st post waiting period...thanks again>>

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The copper is most likley fine. A lot of the green is from flux that wasn't wiped away when they soldered it. The other green is normal, like the statue of liberty. If you were to sand it it's likley thick and robust still. An experienced tapper can tap on it with channel locks and tell is it's worn thin.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks