How to Hook Portable Generator to House Well Pump.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Badulah

Reaction score
I recently purchased a portable Coleman generator (6875 max load) and although it is very handy, we have well water at home and I was wondering if there was a way to wire the well pump in to the 220 plug on the generator. I spoke with someone at the local hardware store and they sold me a 50 foot length of 12/2 cable with a ground. One end is bare wires (black, white & ground) and the other end has a 220 plug. They further explained to attach the bare wires to the pump and plug the other end in to the generator. When I got home I opened the electrical connection box on the well pump and discovered four wires: Grey, black and two white wires. Can anyone tell me exactly where to attach the leads from the generator? I'm a little confused because of the 3 wires from the generator vs. the 4 connections on the pump.

Any and all help will be most appreciated.

Regards,

~Rob

Badulah

Reaction score
P1040796.jpg

After reading your reply I went back in to the utility room and looked at everything again. I completely forgot the pump and pressure tank are two different things. In order to have running water, both will need to operate.

I attached a photo of what I think should be the connection point. It is the only place I can find where the pump and pressure tank connect. When you look at the picture, the cable on the right comes directly from the circuit breaker box and connects to the leads (white and black). The line on the left leads straight to the underground pump (Grey and white).

With that in mind, should I hook the generator lines to the contact points for the cable on the right (the one from the circuit breaker)? If so, where do I attach the ground from the generator?

I'm sorry if I sound a little dense. I just don't have very much experience with electrical work and I really don't want to damage anything or hurt anyone.

Thanks again!

~Rob

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
What they told you to do will work, but may not be safe, because you will have a male AC plug that is Hot when power from your house in on, and burn up your generator, Back feed your transformer, unless you disconnect the house feed.

Are you going to disconnect AC power from your house feed ?

Just turning Off a breaker is not a good idea.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would put a plug on the wall coming from the breaker. Then you can plug the pump into the house power or plug it into the generator. That way you won’t have any cross connections possible.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Or just turn the breaker off.

You didn't say what size pump you have, that #12 might be too light for the load you put on it. I'd prefer 10.

DonL

Reaction score
I would put a plug on the wall coming from the breaker. Then you can plug the pump into the house power or plug it into the generator. That way you won’t have any cross connections possible.

Excellent Idea.

He could use that wire to make a extension cord, Just put a socket on the other end, so the generator can be put outside wherever wanted.

DonL

Reaction score
Or just turn the breaker off.

You didn't say what size pump you have, that #12 might be too light for the load you put on it. I'd prefer 10.

50 foot of #12 could be light depending on the pump motor, it could be cut shorter.

Just turning off a breaker, is not a good Idea, for safety reasons. I have done that, but I do not recommend it.

To much room for operator error.

Badulah

Reaction score
First off, I want to thank everyone who has responded. I really appreciate everyone's input.

I don't know how big my well pump is. It was installed about 10 years ago, which was 7 years before I purchased the house. It is over 250 feet in the ground and I have no idea how to find out how big it is. Suggestions on solving this mystery?

What I didn't mention is that there is currently a power kill switch between the well pressure tank and the circuit breaker (its on the wall above the pressure tank). So if the power goes out, I will turn off the main to the house, turn off the specific breaker for the well/pressure tank and then turn off the kill switch between the breaker and the well/pressure tank and then hook up the generator.

In the spring I plan to have a professional electrician install a power transfer switch and panel. We are expecting a heavy snow and ice storm tonight, so I'm just prepping for the chance that the storm will knock out the power. I realize this isn't a long-term solution.

Back to my previous question: Should I hook the generator lines to the contact points for the cable on the right (the one from the circuit breaker)? If so, where do I attach the ground from the generator?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
1. Yes, after removing the existing wires.
2. Under one of the green screws in the pressure switch.

As to how big your pump is, you could estimate that from how much current the pump draws while running. A clamp-on ammeter is the easy tool to measure that. I expect 50 more feet of a #12 pair will do the job OK.

I would think you would want to figure out how to make your furnace run, if you have a gas furnace. If you use electric heat, dress warmly and drain the pipes before they freeze.

Last edited:

Badulah

Reaction score
Reach4: THANKS!!

I just measured the run and I can cut it down to around 28 feet. Hopefully that long of a run won't cause it to lose to much power.

During the winter I'm not so concerned with my HVAC system because I have a wood burning stove that heats the entire house.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You can back feed the whole house if you turn off the MAIN breaker. But like Don said, that is not safe because of possible user error. Even the extra disconnect between the breaker panel and the pump could be turned on accidentally. (not good)

I would use the plug method until the electrician gets a real transfer switch working. You just need to disconnect the pump from the extra disconnect. Use that wire as the extension cord and put a male plug on it. Then add a female plug under the extra disconnect like the one on the generator. That way it can only be plugged into one thing at a time.

DonL

Reaction score
Back to my previous question: Should I hook the generator lines to the contact points for the cable on the right (the one from the circuit breaker)? If so, where do I attach the ground from the generator?

NO.

Either connect to the outside Two terminals, or the Inside two terminals in the pressure switch. Not left or right, or something will pop, That will be a direct short.

They should be marked Line And Load, but it may not be wired like that, depends on who installed it. The Load should be the motor, The line is the two that you want to connect to, The ones going to the house breaker. It has to be the inner or outer connections. Look Close.

Good Luck. I hope you have plenty of beer for the storm.

Last edited:

Badulah

Reaction score
Reach4 says yes and DonL says no.

They are marked from left to right: L1, T1, T2, L2

L1: Is currently connected to the grey lead, which goes to the breaker
T1: Is currently connected to the black lead, which goes to the well pump
T2: Is currently connected to the white lead, which goes directly to the well pump
L2: Is currently connected to the second white lead, which goes directly to the breaker

Since L1 and L2 run from the breaker, shouldn't I remove them and connect the generator leads to them and leave T1 and T2 connected to the pump just as they are?

DonL

Reaction score
You said right set of contacts, That is not correct. (or i misunderstood) It is Inner and outer connections.

Do not go by how they are marked, trace the wires. Some people wire them opposite and it will still work.

"Since L1 and L2 run from the breaker, shouldn't I remove them and connect the generator leads to them and leave T1 and T2 connected to the pump just as they are?"

Yes that is correct. Connect to the Outer most connections, the pump motor is on the inner two. That switch is wired correctly.

Sorry for the confusion, If I did it.

Last edited:

Badulah

Reaction score
Got cha! I traced the lines back and they match up with what I put in my previous post.

Thanks everyone!!

As I said, this is not a long-term thing. Hopefully we won't lose power during this storm and I won't have to do this at all. Since I have two children, one of which is an infant, I just want to have a plan if the power does go out. In early spring I plan to have this done the right way by a licensed electrician.

Reach4

Reaction score
Reach4 says yes and DonL says no.

They are marked from left to right: L1, T1, T2, L2

L1: Is currently connected to the grey lead, which goes to the breaker
T1: Is currently connected to the black lead, which goes to the well pump
T2: Is currently connected to the white lead, which goes directly to the well pump
L2: Is currently connected to the second white lead, which goes directly to the breaker

Since L1 and L2 run from the breaker, shouldn't I remove them and connect the generator leads to them and leave T1 and T2 connected to the pump just as they are?

Not inconsistent, in my opinion.. I said yes to "Should I hook the generator lines to the contact points for the cable on the right (the one from the circuit breaker)".

The two wires from the cable from the breaker should be lifted and replaced by the two hot wires from the generator. Those would be L1 and L2.

Badulah

Reaction score
All three of us are on the same page. We are all saying the same thing. I just think there was a little confusion, but I got it now.

Badulah

Reaction score
On a side note, if you look at the picture I posted, I discovered a little bit of water on the grounding screws. It seems it is leaking up through the valve underneath it. I'm assuming this isn't a good thing?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks