Contactor Timer Wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

CommanderDave

Reaction score
I want to install a timer to control a well pump located at a pond on my property. I've installed a diagram showing the electrical configuration. The thing to focus on is the Bypass Switch (which I use to run the well pump continuously in the Spring to fill the pond). I'd like to replace this with a ST01 timer, but I am unclear what the wiring should be. Also, I have some confusion about the differences I'm seeing in wiring a contactor.

Here is the diagram of the existing configuration:

1710351084944.jpeg

Here is the current configuration of the Contactor:

1710351159000.jpeg

Here is what I've seen the ST01 timer wiring should be, timer has black, blue, red, ground wires:

1710353054837.jpeg

What I don't understand is the difference in the contactor wiring. The wiring in my current configuration works fine. The wiring diagram above shows a jumper from the red hot main feed to a side terminal, which I don't understand. My current configuration has a 2 wire feed to both side terminals of the contactor from a pressure tank switch. Is that not wired correctly? If I were to wire the timer with this jumper would it affect the pressure tank switch wiring? Can I have more than two feeds to a side terminal, each of which only has two blade connectors?

Fitter30

Reaction score
I want to install a timer to control a well pump located at a pond on my property. I've installed a diagram showing the electrical configuration. The thing to focus on is the Bypass Switch (which I use to run the well pump continuously in the Spring to fill the pond). I'd like to replace this with a ST01 timer, but I am unclear what the wiring should be. Also, I have some confusion about the differences I'm seeing in wiring a contactor.

Here is the diagram of the existing configuration:

View attachment 97932

Here is the current configuration of the Contactor:

View attachment 97933
Here is what I've seen the ST01 timer wiring should be, timer has black, blue, red, ground wires:

View attachment 97936

What I don't understand is the difference in the contactor wiring. The wiring in my current configuration works fine. The wiring diagram above shows a jumper from the red hot main feed to a side terminal, which I don't understand. My current configuration has a 2 wire feed to both side terminals of the contactor from a pressure tank switch. Is that not wired correctly? If I were to wire the timer with this jumper would it affect the pressure tank switch wiring? Can I have more than two feeds to a side terminal, each of which only has two blade connectors?
If you would wire the pressure switch wrong red to blue you would have a direct short. Unless your going to run a neutral the coil on the contactor is 230 vac. Need both hots for 230 vac.The red jumper is the other hot for the coil. If you ran a neutral then you could use 120vac coil. Wire like this diagram or post 4 both use 240vac coils and timer, by pass and pressure switch only kill one side of the 240vac. Thereby the coil has 120vac potential when no switch is calling for water.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am assuming that the timer is intended to inhibit water pumping for some periods. If that is the case, I think wiring the timer contacts in series with one of the hot wires should accomplish that.

If that is not the case, and you want the timer to force the pump on regardless of the pressure switch, then never mind.

I appreciate your effort at making diagrams. They are not doing it for me, unfortunately.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks