Connecting well pump to generator

Users who are viewing this thread

Ceikey12

Reaction score
Hi. I’m brand new here. Have read a few very informative posts but need some advice. I’m looking for a way to hook up a generator to well pump when power is out. I’ve attached a photo of my well pump wiring in the basement. I have an electrical shut-off switch you can see on the wall. This is a main power switch for the circuit that goes to the pump. Could I turn that switch into an outlet and put a male plug on the end of the wires that go to the pump? Then I could plug it into the outlet normally but when power is out I could unplug from the outlet and connect to an extension cord to generator? Not sure if I am missing anything here because seems relatively easy. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 8-25-23, 12:54 PM Microsoft Lens.pdf
    735.3 KB · Views: 124

Reach4

Reaction score
I think that would be OK, but I am not a pro. What I do know is that your 2-wire submersible pump probably needs more generator power than you would think.

If you zoom in, you may be able to read Table 5, and the Note.

I do think that most generators are INTERNALLY REGULATED.

Ceikey12

Reaction score
Thanks that was a helpful read. My generator is 3600 watts so should be able to run the pump just fine if I don’t have anything else connected.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Thanks that was a helpful read. My generator is 3600 watts so should be able to run the pump just fine if I don’t have anything else connected.
You won't know until you connect it to a generator. You cannot go by watts alone. Many motor such as pumps need a lot more starting power and voltage regulation. 3600 watts is split between two phases if it has a 220v connection. 1800 watts each for 120v.

Big box stores and Harbor Freight usually are not regulated voltage wise. High Quality ones are such as Honda's. Basic generators will just slug out the load, voltage will drop until the breaker trips.

Motor starting current is about five times greater than max load current. I ran a 2700 watt generator for two refrigerators with no problem. Just a washing machine alone it could not handle it. The motor would not go in spin mode.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks