Hot water in toilet

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by mrhans1, Jun 8, 2005.

1. mrhans1

mrhans1 New Member

I maintain an eighteen floor office high rise building and I've run into a new challenge I need help with. Hot water is in the toilets and sinks on the 14th floor. Now I have hot water in all the cold water outlets on the 18th floor. The floors have seperate water heaters,individual single handled sinks and flush valves. It shows up in the mornings until the cold water runs or flushed enough times, then the water is cool again. Has anyone seen this before. Help!
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

It happens when there is a temperary shutoff on a shower head.

The homeowner shuts the valve on the shower head, but leaves the shower faucet on.
    The hot crosses through the valve and into the cold side.

The fix is to educate them to turn "off" the faucets for the showers, not just for the shower head.
  3. It probably is due to thermal expansion of hot water from the water heaters into the cold supply lines.
    Do these water heaters have expansion tanks on them?
  4. mrhans1

mrhans1 New Member

Hot Toilet reply

No expansion tanks. They are 17 gal. state water heaters. After reading this I went and looked at the pipes and I do not see a check valve or a flow back preventor on the cold water line before the water heater.