Air in toilet line - normal procedure doesn't work

Users who are viewing this thread

Snorp

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
My best to all for the help you provide.

Two level townhouse. Two toilets upstairs and one on main level - no basement. I have no clue as to what started this problem but fairly recently I replaced a shower cartridge. The problem Did Not start immediately after that work was done as best as I can remember.

Downstairs toilet Whines very loudly when flushed. Tone can be modulated by running the faucet at various volumes. I followed what I think was the 'standard procedure' for fixing the problem: Shut off water to the house; opened all faucets about half way - starting at the lower level and moving upward; flushed all toilets starting at ground level; left faucets half way open and turned main supply back on; ran water for ten or more minutes; then turned off all water faucets.

Flushed all toilets starting at top floor. The downstairs toilet started to whine - as usual. Ran the sink faucet in the same bathroom and flushed the toilet again. The sink faucet burped once but the whine continued. I read that it's possible that there was a blockage in the drain but there was no evidence that the flush was weak but I added dishwasher liquid and flushed and used the plunger - didn't help.

Read that turning off the supply to the toilet and then removing the line to the toilet - at the toilet - turning the water supply back on and draining water from the toilet line might work. Did this and ran a steady flow of some 4-5 quarts into a pot - no signs of a bubble or air during this process. Area was very tight hence a small amount of water was drained.

Noted that the valve was vibrating but not that severely.

Thoughts? Need a new valve?

I would appreciate any/all thoughts/comments.
Andy

Reach4

Reaction score
"Flushed all toilets starting at top floor. The downstairs toilet started to whine - as usual. "

Did you flush the downstairs toilet before it started to whine? If so, I suspect you should replace the fill valve on that toilet.

Snorp

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
"Flushed all toilets starting at top floor. The downstairs toilet started to whine - as usual. "

Did you flush the downstairs toilet before it started to whine? If so, I suspect you should replace the fill valve on that toilet.
Thank you Mr. Reach4. Yes, it only whines when it's flushed. I wasn't sure that the valve could be a source for this problem.

Tomorrow I'll replace the valve. I'm confident that that'll fix the problem.
Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,
Andy

GReynolds929

Reaction score
As @Reach4 said replace the offending toilet fill valve with a Fluidmaster. Not the stop valve on the wall, the one in the tank with the float.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks