Hairline (almost invisible) crack in Toto bowl

Users who are viewing this thread

JASchneider

Reaction score
Hello. I installed a Toto Drake in my house in fall of 2003, and it's been working just fine. However, I recently noticed, when I was cleaning it, that an extremely fine crack has appeared running essentially vertically down the back of the bowl for several inches, down to near the outlet. The crack is so fine that it really only seems visible because of slight discoloration. The crack could really just be in the interior glazing. No makeup water is filling the tank, and I'm basically positive there's no leakage at this time. My question is, should I be concerned enough about this to try to press for a replacement bowl from the supplier where I bought it, or is this actually a more common occurrence that I shouldn't worry about.

Thanks,

Josh
Philly, PA

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
man you really clean well

sounds like a marine corps feild day.

i,m guessing it will be fine. every once in a while check it

RRW

Reaction score
If you know anyone who has had a commode split while they were away from the house you will take this very seriously. I know two, and their damages ran to the 5 figures.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The porcelain should not be cracked.

Cracking is "very" rare. It almost never happens.
I would replace the bowl.
Most porcelain warrantees are in the five year range for defects.

Last edited:

JASchneider

Reaction score
I guess I'll follow up on this

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I might be better off to err on the side of caution. I only need to determine whether I've got any warranty coverage on it. I'd hope Toto would back their products against this kind of problem.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think their warranty is 5-years...call them and check it out.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
jas

you said BOWL not tank. you also said ,you,re not sure it is a crack.
if it is the rear skirt of the lower bowl, there will not be a major meltdown.

this is a dry area seperated from the water trap in side.

before you spend a fair amount of money, i suggest you check, and think things over some.

if you have a crack in the water tank, shut off supply, flush toilet and replace immediatly. good luck

JASchneider

Reaction score
Toto bowl

Yes, I said "bowl." I didn't see anyone question that. The "crack," if it is a crack, is inside running down the back of the bowl. If Toto has a 5-year warranty, I'll just get them to authorize a replacement bowl. No biggie.

Josh

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks