Ominous cracking noise tightening down Toto Eco-Drake tank

Users who are viewing this thread

I Play One On TV

Reaction score
So, it seems like this is a common problem from reading threads here like this one:

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?12228-Toto-Drake-tank-wobble

and l even posted the first time I installed my Toto. Well, 3 weeks ago I took it out to install a new bathroom floor. When I re-installed it (using a new tank to bowl gasket) I again went through the process of trying to tighten the tank down enough to the bowl to make contact with the three contact points. I made sure to go back and forth tightening each one just a little at a time to keep the pressure even side-to-side. As it got tighter and tighter, and closer to the points, I was getting very worried about how much pressure I was using. Then -- CRACK! -- a noise, that is. I thought for sure I had cracked the tank. But I cannot find a crack, and there has been water in the tank now for three weeks, no leak or moistness on the outside of the tank.

My question is, has anybody else ever heard a noise like this and not cracked the tank? Should I be worried there is some hairline crack I can't see and one of these days I'm going to have a major disaster? Or should I just stop worrying about it?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks