For those needing something stronger (that accursed 2%)

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Jimew, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Jimew

Jimew New Member

You suggested for those 2% that need a flushmate or caroma…

In my family all learned at an early age how to work a plunger. And my sister learned to use a snake. We discovered flushmate (but until today I didn’t know it by that name, only by jet flush or pressure assist) years ago.

Upon moving to new home we were assured we’d be pleased with St. Thomas due to 3†flow valve. Apparently 2 ⅛†trapway and 3†flow valve like Toto. But apparently those specs enable movement of lots of small stool material, not large stools.

So a few questions. Is the flushmate IV as effective as the III? Is it really only a bit louder than low flow gravity toilets as Sloan indicates on their site? Can you recommend toilet models for Caroma and also for any that use that flushmate IV if effective or flushmate III if the IV isn’t as effective?

Thanks.
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Any of the Caroma's will work with larger then normal stools.
    For the Flushmate models, I like the Kohler Highline pressure assist.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Don't confuse a large flapper valve from the tank to the bowl with a larger trapway. The caroma has a larger trapway. Many toilets have a 3" flapper. The large flapper allows high flow to create the siphon jet and head to flush, but if the stool is not somewhat flexible and longer than average, it won't push it through the trap.
  4. Jimew

Jimew New Member

Thank you for both replies. we are checking out the caroma which at least has the largest trapway and will investigate effectiveness for clearing and noisiness of the kohler highline which I see is the flushmate IV. People are generally satisfied with caroma? any drawbacks to know about them and any models to prefer for effectiveness and reliability? not concerned with "beauty"
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Flush after you get up and close the lid! I've never used one that I know if, but that's what I've heard.