Fix crack or replace toilet tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Johnfin

Reaction score
I have a 30 year old 3 gal American standard Plebe with a hairline crack in the tank that goes from the top of the tank at the flush handle down almost to the bottom of the tank. Barely seeping water. Should I epoxy it or find another tank. They are hard to come by and super expensive.

"
DOES HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE COVER WATER DAMAGE FROM LEAKING PLUMBING?
Homeowners insurance may help cover damage caused by leaking plumbing if the leak is sudden and accidental, such as if a washing machine supply hose suddenly breaks or a pipe bursts. However, homeowners insurance does not cover damage resulting from poor maintenance. So, if damage results after you fail to repair a leaky toilet, for example, homeowners insurance likely will not pay for repairs."
Allstate Insurance

Last edited by a moderator:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Replace it

index.php

Picture added by Terry Love

Johnfin

Reaction score
cant find one

attachment.php

Picture added by Terry Love

Johnfin

Reaction score
also, when I find one how hard are the tanks to replace and in the mean time, any good water tight epoxy?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
This tank broke suddenly and flooded the bathroom. The repairs to the bathroom were much more than just replacing and old thirty year old toilet.
The American Standard Plebe isn't even a good toilet by today's standards. Most anything you can get would be an improvement.

Once the tank breaks all the way, there is nothing to stop the water. It's all over the floor, into the carpet in the next room and down through the floor to the floor below. It's a frigging mess.

"Homeowners insurance may help cover damage caused by leaking plumbing if the leak is sudden and accidental, such as if a washing machine supply hose suddenly breaks or a pipe bursts. ... So, if damage results after you fail to repair a leaky toilet, for example, homeowners insurance likely will not pay for repairs."

toilet-tank-broken-crane.jpg

crane-tanks-cracked.jpg

Last edited:

Craig Cannon

Reaction score
Here is an epoxy you can use. It's cheap (about $6 at HD) and probably readily available near you. I just used some on a cracked PVC drain and it worked great and is as extremely easy to apply. Should be good for at least a temporary fix until you can get a new tank.
https://www.jbweld.com/product/waterweld-epoxy-putty

Based on reviews and info I read it can likely be a permanent fix if you wanted, but I personally would replace as recommended above. If it ever let go and you were not home, it would be a nightmare. Even if you were home, it would likely be a huge mess.

Johnfin

Reaction score
So what is a decent toilet that could really push out a commode choker. Seems like these 1.6 gal units are weak. My toilet is close to a septic tank so its hard to get it to flush sometimes due to the water resistance. I have heard of power assist, is that a sales gimmick or does it actually work?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So what is a decent toilet that could really push out a commode choker. Seems like these 1.6 gal units are weak. My toilet is close to a septic tank so its hard to get it to flush sometimes due to the water resistance. I have heard of power assist, is that a sales gimmick or does it actually work?

The Plebe was never a good toilet.
If you go with pressure assist, the Kohler Highline with Flushmate.
Otherwise if going gravity, TOTO Drake CST744S
Kohler would work, also the American Standard Cadet series.

Last edited:

Johnfin

Reaction score
Can you give me a quick idea how the pressure assist works and is it worth it. Do any of these modern low gal toilets stand up to flushing performance?

flushmate-3-series.jpg

Video added by Terry Love
This shows the 1.1 gallon flush, and they also make these for 1.28 and 1.6 gallons.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The only reason for something like a pressure assist is if there is a problem with the main line, or there is a medical condition with large stools, normally because of pain medicines.
The new toilets work great, especially compared to yours, which by the way I'm always tossing.

HomeRepairGuy

Reaction score
I have a 30 year old 3 gal American standard Plebe with a hairline crack in the tank that goes from the top of the tank at the flush handle down almost to the bottom of the tank. Barely seeping water. Should I epoxy it or find another tank. They are hard to come by and super expensive.

"
Homeowners insurance may help cover damage caused by leaking plumbing if the leak is sudden and accidental, such as if a washing machine supply hose suddenly breaks or a pipe bursts. However, homeowners insurance does not cover damage resulting from poor maintenance. So, if damage results after you fail to repair a leaky toilet, for example, homeowners insurance likely will not pay for repairs."
Allstate Insurance
I would turn the water off to the toilet, flush the toilet and not use it any more (unless it's your only toilet). Replace the toilet. The consequence of the tank breaking with the resulting flood of your home, especially if it happens when you're not at home, is mind-blowingly too great. If you can't afford a "new" toilet because of loss of job due to covid-19, see if there's a recycle place in your area. The recycle place in our area always has several used toilets for sale.

Even if you have flood insurance, when the insurance investigator examines the toilet, it will be obvious that the crack was preexisting due to mold or discoloration within the crack, and if you epoxy it, it's even worse confirmation of an existing problem. If that's the determination of the investigator, the insurance will not cover the flood.

Johnfin

Reaction score
I dont have commode choker, ok I do, but the main issue is water resistance from the toilet too close to the septic tank. Toilet at other end of the house has no issues because it has 50 feet to drain 3 gallons.

Reach4

Reaction score
p.s. Can the average home owner install one of these?
From an initial installation point of view, the pressure assist is the same as a regular gravity toilet.

I dont have commode choker, ok I do, but the main issue is water resistance from the toilet too close to the septic tank. Toilet at other end of the house has no issues because it has 50 feet to drain 3 gallons.
I am not sure what you are saying here, but it make me wonder if you are sure your septic tank doesn't need pumping? The expense of pumping sooner than needed is low, and the expense from pumping too late can be pretty high.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If your system is working correctly, the drain line out of the house is always empty unless you're currently dumping something in it, or it just happened a moment ago...it's supposed to be sloped and drain by itself.

If this toilet doesn't flush well, it's either the toilet itself, the septic system is messed up, or the drain line has a (partial) clog in it, or there's a negative slope...i.e., it's either got a belly, or backwards slope to it and thus, not empty like it should be seconds after you flushed the last time.

Johnfin

Reaction score
In reality the pipe coming in turns down, its not above the septic water or scum so its like blowing a straw into a glass of water. Since the toilet is close to the tank its 3 gallons of water trying to move hundreds out into the drain field. My septic system is new and working fine, no other problems other then this toilet. 60% of the time it flushes fine but the other times its a double flush.
So is there a disadvantage to getting the powerflush other then the price?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score

"
Allstate Insurance

I have Allstate for over 51 years

Amazing company .Expensive but in life you get what you pay for

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The only reason for something like a pressure assist is if there is a problem with the main line, or there is a medical condition with large stools, normally because of pain medicines.
The new toilets work great, especially compared to yours, which by the way I'm always tossing.

During the "NYC GREAT Toilet change out" we had to remove all the parts and then we could dump the china

Then we received the checks from the city

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score

Then FLUSH TWICE it is a very common medical issue

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks