New Kraüs fireclay sink with small cracks

Users who are viewing this thread

tgice

Reaction score
Hello, I just bought a 33" Kraüs fireclay farmhouse sink for a partial kitchen remodel (new stone countertops mostly).

After carefully looking it over, I noticed two small cracks right around the (single, centered) drain hole.

I will be mounting a garbage disposal to it.

When viewed from above, you barely notice sharing and the glazing basically covers it. I doubt there will be any problem making the flange connection watertight there.

From below it looks worse but not horrible.

Of course I called their customer support (which was not awesome and took a full day to be get back to me). At first the rep said: oh yeah you'll want to get a new one, don't install that.

But then I pushed a little and had him review the photos and check with his "product team" who then apparently said it would be fine to install.

Presumably the warranty would be unaffected but that doesn't do me much good if it does fail with more cracking or leaks or something and we're stuck doing a repair.

Any opinions on what to do here? Do those cracks seem unlikely to progress? Is this maybe common on fireclay sinks?
1000003804.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20231210_192835715.jpg
    PXL_20231210_192835715.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 41
  • PXL_20231210_192507753.jpg
    PXL_20231210_192507753.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 39
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks