Finding a well from 1971

Users who are viewing this thread

Verywellfl

Reaction score
Above ground Pump not pulling water, pump is primed. Try to find the well now...any suggestions? Trailer is from 1971.... backyard all overgrown...no pipe/ well head sticking out any where.. we have the directions from the pipe pointing...see picture below but at least 50feet of options....we will try a metal detector...ANY other ideas?
(Heath department has old plans showing well in opposite directions to the pipe (see again below).
Thanks

1657051515622.png

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can find plastic or metal lines underground by witching for them. In the video I used a wire coat hanger that I cut with cutting pliers.

The tool will cost you a coat hanger that you may have hanging in a closet. What is that? About a dollar.

In the video done 12 years ago, I had just lost 42 pounds fighting cancer.
Cancer is back twelve years later and I guess I'm heading for more medical stuff in the future.

Verywellfl

Reaction score
You can find plastic or metal lines underground by witching for them. In the video I used a wire coat hanger that I cut with cutting pliers.

The tool will cost you a coat hanger that you may have hanging in a closet. What is that? About a dollar.

Cancer is back twelve years later and I guess I'm heading for more medical stuff in the future.
I am so sorry to hear about this. I will keep you in my thoughts! Sending you strengths.
I will try it tonight!

Verywellfl

Reaction score

I hope you are doing ok!
Here is a correct pic. (2nd one). It's the only metal pipe I could find. I'm finding the small plastic pipes all over - not connected to anything ( trailer is from 1971...) But I still cannot find the well. I'm following the suction pipe from the motor.. pipe "turns" without an elbow or connector and " disappeares" underneath a slab. Digging around the slab I'm finding 1/2 inch pipes in " shallow sand" (1st pic). Digging deeper, I couldn't find any pipe. There is a second ( lower/ older) slab connecting to the one where the pipe disappears..
.I started digging in the area where the well is supposed to be.(its 45-90 degrees off from the "untraceable pipe" direction.)
I didn't find anything.
I took one more day off + will use a metal detector... Cheaper than a new well which my ex suggested...(it's impossible to convince him that his priming procedure might need adjustment )

Screenshot_20220708_214739.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220708_220812.jpg
    Screenshot_20220708_220812.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Screenshot_20220708_214739.jpg
    Screenshot_20220708_214739.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 66

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the pump was working, you could use this method with the water on.
Did you try the coat hanger method? They do tend to find everything, sometimes more than you want to find.

Verywellfl

Reaction score
T
If the pump was working, you could use this method with the water on.
Did you try the coat hanger method? They do tend to find everything, sometimes more than you want to find.

Thanks!
Unfortunately, we don't have any water since the 3rd...
I found the tiny vertical pipe - see pictures posted before - nothing else.
Well driller couldn't find it either...

Trying to locate 2nd previous owner who lived there for 20 years...but I don't even know if they are still alive....
(Previous owner doesn't know where well is)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The city water departments here use witching to do a final locate before they dig with backhoes.
They might have an "As built" in their hands, but no digging until they witch the lines. Sounds like you're having fun there though.

Verywellfl

Reaction score
The city water departments here use witching to do a final locate before they dig with backhoes.
They might have an "As built" in their hands, but no digging until they witch the lines. Sounds like you're having fun there though.
Yes, having the time of my life! 92 degrees, digging in the dirt and no water since the 3rd. what else can you want from life

Verywellfl

Reaction score
Mystery solved
Previous owner moved pump location! Well must be were it's supposed to be. Will dig some more.

Greenmonster123

Reaction score
If you can get your hands on a wire locator/toner you can use it to locate plastic pipes by sending and electricians snake into the pipe as far as it will go then connect the locator to the snake and trace it.

Verywellfl

Reaction score
That i
If you can get your hands on a wire locator/toner you can use it to locate plastic pipes by sending and electricians snake into the pipe as far as it will go then connect the locator to the snake and trace it.
That is a great idea! I'll keep it in mind. ( For now I'll keep digging since it doesn't cost anything)

Elon Musk the Plumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm a wanna be plumber. I know it's not rocket science, but it is very intriguing to me. There are certain things about it that through the ages, medieval and current, have been needed to keep people safe. There is a method to it, and it helps the health our our planet. I did find this quote here

"While many major utility locating services may not recognize dowsing, it turns out water companies have been utilizing dowsing to locate damaged pipes, which is a very routine procedure. Many skilled locators will state that they have used and continue to use it to identify underground pipes and water. Dowsing rods, which can be constructed out of coat hangers, can be used to see if you’re standing on top of a live pipeline. According to several expert locators, it won’t tell you how deep the pipeline is, but it is a reliable approach to find pipes. Skeptics argue that there is no underlying science dowsing, while others argue that intuition is the driving force. Dowsing has been used to discover subsurface water since the Middle Ages, regardless of who you believe, but is it safe?

Despite the lack of scientific proof for its usefulness, many water company providers have admitted to continuing to use water dowsing."

One way to find things underground is by digging everything up. If so, make sure you dig deep enough. It would be a waste of time to only dig so deep and have that nasty pipe just a few inches below where you stop. Pretty mean if you think about it.

I do like that video above where it shakes the plumber. I'm kind of an acoustic guy anyway, and having a listening device to pick up the sounds is interesting. Almost makes me wonder if there is like a song singing back to you as you listen for it.
"I'm here, I'm here............."

Verywellfl

Reaction score
I'm a wanna be plumber. I know it's not rocket science, but it is very intriguing to me. There are certain things about it that through the ages, medieval and current, have been needed to keep people safe. There is a method to it, and it helps the health our our planet. I did find this quote here

"While many major utility locating services may not recognize dowsing, it turns out water companies have been utilizing dowsing to locate damaged pipes, which is a very routine procedure. Many skilled locators will state that they have used and continue to use it to identify underground pipes and water. Dowsing rods, which can be constructed out of coat hangers, can be used to see if you’re standing on top of a live pipeline. According to several expert locators, it won’t tell you how deep the pipeline is, but it is a reliable approach to find pipes. Skeptics argue that there is no underlying science dowsing, while others argue that intuition is the driving force. Dowsing has been used to discover subsurface water since the Middle Ages, regardless of who you believe, but is it safe?

Despite the lack of scientific proof for its usefulness, many water company providers have admitted to continuing to use water dowsing."

One way to find things underground is by digging everything up. If so, make sure you dig deep enough. It would be a waste of time to only dig so deep and have that nasty pipe just a few inches below where you stop. Pretty mean if you think about it.

I do like that video above where it shakes the plumber. I'm kind of an acoustic guy anyway, and having a listening device to pick up the sounds is interesting. Almost makes me wonder if there is like a song singing back to you as you listen for it.
"I'm here, I'm here..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks