Fernco Repair Piece stuck under flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Oriolefan890

Reaction score
Very inexperienced DIYer here. I just bought my first home and had both of my bathrooms redone to put tile floors in. Today was my first day to take a look at the work they completed. The flooring company put the tile right up to the flange. On both flanges it looks like they were previously broken from the previous owner and had a 1 Fernco repair peices added on each toilet. Because they tiled right up to the flange I can't remove the Fernco or the bolt that's underneath it. And the bolt isn't long enough to fasten down the toilet even without the wax ring. What would be a proper solution that doesn't include paying a plumber a few hundred dollars to replace both flanges? Keep in mind I'm very inexperienced when it comes to DIY.

Reach4

Reaction score
A photo often helps to make things clear.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally a flange lower than the finished flooring requires two or more wax rings.
Standard closet bolts are 2-1/4 long. They also make closet bolts that are 3-1/2" long.
If a flange is broken, you can either buy a repair ring to fix that, or Sioux Chief also makes come repair closet flanges that may fit with what you have.

Oriolefan890

Reaction score
These are the two flanges I am dealing with. It may be hard to see the bolt that is stuck in the fernco because I took the picture directly from above. The solution that I think I've come up with is to saw off the remaining bolt from each flange as low as I can get it and then install the repair closet flange by Sioux Chief with a tapcon bit and screw. Don't really know if this would work but please someone let me know.

Attachments

• 20161011_145945.jpg
    20161011_145945.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 224
  • 20161011_150202.jpg
    20161011_150202.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 204

Reach4

Reaction score
Also maybe take a look at Superior 21015 or DANCO Model 10672X

Oriolefan890

Reaction score
It is a standard closet bolt and it is not threadEd into the wood because I can wiggle the screw around in the Fernco. Plus I have a concrete subfloor.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can always grind the tiles a little, enough to be able to slide a bolt in (something like a 1/4"). Use masonry disk.

Oriolefan890

Reaction score
You can always grind the tiles a little, enough to be able to slide a bolt in (something like a 1/4"). Use masonry disk.
Do you think I should complain to the company who did the tile work that they should take care of that because of the way they butted the tile up to the flange? I know that they were only worrying about doing the tile job but I feel like they should have realized what they were doing when they butted right up to the flange.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The flooring is always cut around the flange. There is nothing wrong with the tile floor.
Those flanges have slots for the closet bolts.

Oriolefan890

Reaction score
The slot on the left side of the picture of both of them is cracked off. Those are the slots I need to use for the bolts that have the Fernco pieces stuck underneath.

JRC3

Reaction score
I used one of these once. Usually I replace the flange, even on a slab. I decided to try this with Tapcons and it worked like a champ. It's a good spacer too.

eba749b2-4e20-4dc7-aa70-2376b6ddba99_1000.jpg

Home Depot: $11 for the 3" and $20 for the 4".

Oriolefan890

Reaction score
red_ring_repair_1.jpg

There are ways to deal with that.
Should I leave all the screws that are in the flange or remove them first? And just drill right through the pvc and cast iron with a tapcon and into the subfloor or should I try to line up the holes of the flange to the holes on the repair ring?

MKS

Reaction score
Looking at the repair flange Terry posted, it would appear the flange to floor screw holes are on the outside of the ring. Possibly putting the new screws out of confliction with previous screws and giving you a better chance of screwing into well supported subfloor.
You set the repair flange so the hold down slots are were they belong, toilet base hold down holes.
This steel flange won't break. But it makes it possible to break the toilet base by over tightening.
Terry has tutorials here on toilet setting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks