Toilet Flange Situation

Users who are viewing this thread

cp2001

Reaction score
Hi, I had a toilet that was rocking back and forth and was old so we wanted to replace it. I took the old toilet off and the flange looked good, but when i put new closet bolts in put the new toilet on and tightened them the bolts would pop out of the flange. I took off the new toilet and test pulling the bolts out and yeah, if they turn just a bit sideways they pull out.

I unscrewed the flange to replace it but it won't budge out, like its glued to the piping below (moves off the floor but won't pull out the pipe below). It looks like cast iron piping at the bottom, not sure if its just stuck or bonded somehow but any ideas to easily replace the flange or get the bolts to stay in? I tried the metal 3" replacement over the top but the screw holes didn't line up. I also was attempting to use the one that connects under like this - https://www.oatey.com/products/oatey-moss-bay-replacement-flange--754409912 but can't get to the bolts to screw it down.

My next idea is to just cut the outside parts of the keyholes and screw holes, leaving the inner ring and using the replacement flange linked above under the old flange, but wondering that will affect the stability of the toilet or anything. Anybody have a better idea?

PXL_20240207_005429785.MP.jpg
PXL_20240207_005434874.MP.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
flange needs screwed down if there is nothing to screw to they make a plate that goes over that might help with a bigere foot print. The w/c hold down bolts need nuts and washers tight befor the toilet is installed then put nuts on top as well.
I see there is no caulk either around the toilt at the floor definately a bad installation but thats ok just get on track by following advice . Just to recap you need 2 nuts and washers on each bolt the flange needs attached to floor and cailk after install !

cp2001

Reaction score
flange needs screwed down if there is nothing to screw to they make a plate that goes over that might help with a bigere foot print. The w/c hold down bolts need nuts and washers tight befor the toilet is installed then put nuts on top as well.
I see there is no caulk either around the toilt at the floor definately a bad installation but thats ok just get on track by following advice . Just to recap you need 2 nuts and washers on each bolt the flange needs attached to floor and cailk after install !
Thanks for responding, to clarify, the flange bolts go in but they pop through the plastic on the flange, the flange needs to be replaced but i can't get it out. Thats why the flange is not screwed in, i unscrewed it to try to pull it out but it seems like its glued/cemented in and won't pull out, so not sure what options i have to replace it

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The bolts are turning a 1/4 turn and then pulling through the slots ? if you make the nuts real tight befor setting the toilet they wont turn and pull through the slot look at the bottom of the bolts youll see what I mean

Eman85

Reaction score
Set the toilet on the flange with no wax and see if the toilet rocks. If it does tightening the bolts won't do anything but end up breaking the flange. Your flange looks OK you probably just need to put the bolts in then put stainless washers and nuts to hold the bolts in lace. Then place the toilet on and just snug the bolts. I'd say you problem lies in an uneven tile floor and a rocking toilet because of that. The rocking should be remedied with shims, experiment when you set the toilet dry to check the rocking.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good points ,I think it might be a twist and set, I didnt offer advice on removing because it dosent appear bad , Op says it was solidly screwed down, I didnt see him complain of rocking but that could be it needed shims
Ithink the bolts werent nutted and turned and the ring flexed b ut could be other reasons . Until he tells me that he did put the nuts on I assume they turned and pulled up ... been there.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Based on the product number on the flange Oatey 43651, it is a Twist and set flange. Plastic flanges are flimsy. As long as the seal is good, it looks like what others have mentioned, a steel ring around the flange to screw to the floor and hold the bolts securely is all you would need to get back in business.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
He probebly has too much info to pay attention . I mentioned the plate in post 2 as well. I dont have a picture or part number but if he looks at an Oatey Fix-it toilet flange repair ring sold at home depot try googling that. personaly Rings that arent broken I dont have issues with maybe luckey Its real imoportant to keep the long part on the bottom of the bolt perpendicular to the slot with plastic rings in my opinion .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks