DWV Advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Vmm_Seattle

Reaction score
Plumbing_2.jpg
Need sizing and configuration advice for DWV (See above diagram). Worried about distance from first floor laundry vent to soil stack attach (exceed 6 ft ). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Wny does every one think "Anyone can be a plumber if they have enough pipe and fittings"? Your vents are undersized and the downstairs drain is not vented. An AAV is NOT a good option for a lower level drain.

Vmm_Seattle

Reaction score
Why does every one think "Anyone can be a plumber if they have enough pipe and fittings"? Your vents are undersized and the downstairs drain is not vented. An AAV is NOT a good option for a lower level drain.

I mean no disrespect, but technically my vent vents are not undersized. The code requires a vent at least not less than one half the size of the largest soil stack. In this case I may have up to 10 fixture units & a maximum vent length of 30 feet for a diameter of 1 1/2 inches.

The AAV was a proposal since there was little option for other vent placement on the lower level drain. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Venting.JPG
    Venting.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 176

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In the Seattle area, the toilet gets vented with 2".
UPC Code for Washington State.
The area of a 3" pipe is two 2" pipes and one 1.5" pipe.
Most toilet traps are 2".
I have never gone less than 2" on a toilet vent.

Vmm_Seattle

Reaction score
In the Seattle area, the toilet gets vented with 2".
UPC Code for Washington State.
The area of a 3" pipe is two 2" pipes and one 1.5" pipe.
Most toilet traps are 2".
I have never gone less than 2" on a toilet vent.

I have recently upsized to a 2" inch diameter vent stack for the toilet, shower & sink combined. Still have problem with venting the lower level though. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2nd_iter.JPG
aundry.

Asktom

Reaction score
I don't know who's chart that is, but I believe you are under the UPC and are required to have a minimum 2" vent on the toilet.

AAVs only protect against negative pressure and yours would be subject to positive pressure given it's location, thus HJ's comment.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The revents on the second floor should be at 42" or higher off the floor.
In Washington, you can wet vent the lav over the toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks