Washing Machine Standpipe With a Turn

Users who are viewing this thread

scarney27

Reaction score
Hi. For aesthetic reasons, can I put two 45 degree bends in my washing machine standpipe to slide it closer to the vent stack. I am already at the minimum distance from at the trap weir to the vent on the bottom. Attaching a drawing and my actual laundry room. I am adding a water filter and a water softener, so the plumbing wall is going to get redone.

I just want to clear the dryer went in the image below.

My intuition says of course this won't cause the standpipe to not drain correctly. However, I would also prefer to stay within code. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Steve
40acdcbd96afc783a01d90d126c32c6b.jpg
20240323_2306291.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
What you propose should work and be within code.

The diagram you marked up is more restrictive than IPC on this, and most of PA uses IPC.

Your santee under the AAV is upside down, but it will function and probably would not fail inspection.

IPC does not control the distance from the floor like UPC does, and allows longer standpipes. I am not saying that will help.

You are probably adding a cartridge filter. Will that be before or after the softener? There are advantages each way.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I guess Scarney27 needs to confirm which code he has I thought IPC but yea if he has UPC , then santee needs to change , stand pipe must not be over 30 inches as well and needs to confirm use of AAV

Reach4

Reaction score
I guess Scarney27 needs to confirm which code he has I thought IPC but yea if he has UPC , then santee needs to change , stand pipe must not be over 30 inches as well and needs to confirm use of AAV
Philadelphia has their own code, but I think most of PA will be IPC.

scarney27

Reaction score
What you propose should work and be within code.

The diagram you marked up is more restrictive than IPC on this, and most of PA uses IPC.

Your santee under the AAV is upside down, but it will function and probably would not fail inspection.

IPC does not control the distance from the floor like UPC does, and allows longer standpipes. I am not saying that will help.

You are probably adding a cartridge filter. Will that be before or after the softener? There are advantages each way.
Thanks for your comments. I did some follow-up reading and understand why the santee is upside down, makes sense with helping with airflow. To your point, I never had any issues with the way it was.

I got a big blue filter cartridge which I am putting in front of the softener. I had read that doing in that order helps protect the softener. What are the benefits of doing it the other way around?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
being from UPC a santee like that looks hideous but in ipc code its perfectly normal its really a non issue unless you have upc and will be getting inspected. function not going to ever know the differance

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks