drip at steel supply line

Users who are viewing this thread

flustered

Reaction score
Well, despite this being a super basic question that has been probably answered many times, my forum searches are coming up empty. Image is self-explanatory......see drip. I saw one thread that says NOT to use tape, just WD 40? I have little practical experience, but I did 3 wraps w/ tape in clockwise direction, and I tried not to overtighten. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

4246980500_e7aa3f1125_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
joint

Use WD-40 for WHAT? Not as a thread sealant I hope, and if that was really a recommendation do NOT use that person as an advisor for anything else either. You could have a bad thread, depending on how old the pipe is, need more tape, or just use a good pipe joint compound.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Use WD-40 for WHAT?

If it was a "compression stop" then the lubricant would have worked on the threads, the seal being done on the sleeve.

Since this is an "Iron Pipe shutoff", then you need either pipe dope or Teflon Tape on the tapered threads.

angle_stops.jpg

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I would use three wraps of Teflon done neatly and tight (so it does not tear when screwed down on). And over that some pipe dope.

It never fails.

flustered

Reaction score
Thanks so much to everyone. Gonna give a try w/ tape and dope per Ian.

Daltex

Reaction score
I'd like to add that I would start out tightening the shut off only snug. After pressurizing the pipe then tighten until the dripping stops. The warping of the fitting is very common and occurs due to overtightening.

flustered

Reaction score
Success! Used "3 wrap" red tape and this:

Local hardware store told me that plumbers asked them to carry Megaloc, because it's the best. Did the job for me!

Thanks again for all replies.

ilya

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've been using Megaloc over Blue Monster Tape for about 6 months and it's never failed, even over old rough threads.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks