Drainage from Washer....where should I run the line?

Users who are viewing this thread

87vertgt

Reaction score
heres the basement porch. There is a drain in the back yard which is about 5 feet from the wall where the window is.

Big problem is running a exposed pipe will freeze as it can get to 20 below here :D

So I am thinking of running a 1 inch copper line with a heat wire wrap around it. It wont look pretty but will get it done.

Talk to me boyz....

yay or nay :p

washer008.jpg

washer009.jpg

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Is there a utility sink in the basement?

If so, discharge the washer into that.

87vertgt

Reaction score
You might want to buy a plumbing permit for this project. They don't cost that much, for example I bought one from my city for relocating a washing machine and adding a hose bibb, for only about $40.

With the cost of the permit, you can if you ask for it, meet your inspector in person for a "preconstruction" meeting, where he will review your situation in person, and guided by your local plumbing code (and hopefully, also his wise experience... ymmv on that however!) he will give you solid, good advice on how to properly perform your plumbing job.

And after you are done with the work, he will inspect and sign off (or, identity items you did wrong that need fixing to make it a job well done), and this will give you peace of mind that you've done it well. Otherwise, bootlegging in something, with no experience or knowledge, you are likely to make mistakes. There is only so much help an internet plumbing forum like this can give.

i appreciate your wise words.......but wanna stay away from inspectors :p. thanx

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
i appreciate your wise words.......but wanna stay away from inspectors :p. thanx

Not a very good way to look at it. If there is no permit on file for the work your doing when it comes time to sell the house you will pay for it at that time. I also see your hooking up gas line , is this also being done with no permit?

John

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
A washer requires a 2" drain. I would also point out the flex hose you are using for the dryer vent is not a good choice. There are ridges inside that lint will hang up on and will make a fire hazard. Use aluminum pipe of this. Why are you doing this work without a permit? If you every sell, you will be required to bring everything up to code before the loan can be approved. The only time you will have a problem with an inspector is if you have violated codes.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Heat tape doesn't meet any codes.

Oh, that's right, code isn't a concern.

Well, then the heat tape will be fine until the power goes out.

Then you can call a plumber.
When there are freezing conditions, it may take a few days, but we'll get there enventually.

There are ways we do these things, that don't require heat tape.

A 1" line for a washer?
I've never heard that one before.

87vertgt

Reaction score
yeah it aint up to par but it's what I have to work with as cant pay for a plumber/contruction etc.

lemme ask this...

which pipe gets holds heat longer and quicker

Copper or galvanized?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
washer

No matter where you connect it it will NEVER pass code without a vent, which you also do not seem to be concerned about. It makes no difference which one holds the heat longer. Either one will freeze fairly quickly if the temperature is cold enough. As will the pump and piping inside the washer. I may be wrong, but that "HOSE" attached to the gas line looks like a washing machine water hose. If it is, you do not have anything to worry about as far as the washing machine is concerned, because that will be taken care of when your house blows up.

87vertgt

Reaction score
no gas hoses are connected to the washer or dryer....the black rubber hose i think your talking bout is the cold water....

will the drain pipe freeze even if it's in the ground? with heat wire?

maybe i should just cut a long slot in the concrete in the back yard and let the water run on on it until it gets to the drain.

JohnjH2o1

Reaction score
no gas hoses are connected to the washer or dryer....the black rubber hose i think your talking bout is the cold water....

will the drain pipe freeze even if it's in the ground? with heat wire?

maybe i should just cut a long slot in the concrete in the back yard and let the water run on on it until it gets to the drain.

You won't get any advice on this or any other reputable board to do something against code. We have all been telling you what you are doing is wrong, and dangerous.

John

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's a difference in how a gravity drain works and a pumped line. They require a 2" line for a drain to a washing machine for a reason - to keep it from backing up when a pumped line is gushing into it.

87vertgt

Reaction score
yeah gonna run a 2 inch line...not sure if I am gonna go with living it exposed with the wire heater or install it in the ground with wire heater....

how far should it be in the ground? 6 inches with concrete on top (not dirt) good enough?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
how far should it be in the ground? 6 inches with concrete on top (not dirt) good enough?

You can check your local frost line specs.

In Seattle it's 24" of cover

Idaho can be five feet in places.

Since it is near the home, it will be somewhat buffered.
If you can dig a little more, it would help.
Sometimes you can tunnel under concrete, or have it cut.
I don't like breaking outside concrete,
If you cut it, you can size it to fit brick or stone, and cover the cut that way.
If you break it, it will make it harder when you patch.
For some stuff, I hire a guy with a wet saw.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Every so often there is someone who has zero plumbing knowledge but has big ideas about how he want to do a project. He comes on this forum asking questions, but when it is pointed out that what he is wanting to do is illegal, will not work, is being done wrong, etc., he refuses to accept the advice from expert plumbers and takes the attitude that since he certainly isn't going to bother with permits and inspections that whatever he wants to do should be OK. He can never understand why the good folks on the forum don't give him the answers he wants to hear. Oh yes, most of the time he has no money to hire a plumber to do the job right. I'm pretty sure that you are going to go ahead an try to bull this job through your own way, and I am equally sure that your washer will not drain and back up into your basement. Then come winter the pump and water lines will freeze and break. Maybe then you will figure out how to afford a plumber. Most of us would save some money for awhile so we could afford to hire someone who knows how to do the job. Good luck!

flood_2.jpg

A flooded basement from a leaking washer hose.
That's carpet with two inches of water over it.

Last edited by a moderator:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Good luck doing plumbing in Chicago with out a permit. One if there is some sort of outside work being done there is a 70% chance you will get caught. But when you sell your home if what you do does not meet Chicago's plumbing codes there is a 100% chance you will get caught, fined and made to hire a plumber to make the repairs.

Here is what always puzzles me, people come here and ask advice, but when the proper advice is given, people will say they do not need to follow a code, or do not want to follow a code, if that is the case then why even bother asking?

JohnjH2o1

Reaction score
After you learn plumbing try to master the use of spell checkers.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks