Costs of replacing Tub/Shower Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

maxypaxy

Reaction score
My Hurricane Sandy home is finally being repaired. As per my contract, my contractor was supposed to replace my tub and shower faucet but now the entire valve kit needs to be replaced. I am purchasing the valve kit but my contractor wants to charge me extra for the additional work. The walls are entirely open, down to the studs and has been for some time. How much would be a fair price for the valve replacement? I live in NJ. Any suggestions/ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; As per my contract, my contractor was supposed to replace my tub and shower faucet

That would usually mean replacing the entire valve. With the walls open it should be a "minimum fee" job, unless his workers work at a snail's pace.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would love to see the wording of the contract.

Normally when I quote for those things, I have a line item also for the shower vavle.
And one for installation.

Some would put it in one line.
With the wall open, cost of valve plus a few hundred perhaps for rough. Give or take.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Buy me a r/t airline ticket LAX-EWR-LAX on United - and I'll put in the valve for free.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The contract was probably written like this story about an optometrist

The son had just graduated and he asked his father, also an optometrist, "How do I give prices to my customers?" The father replied, "You tell them the cost is $200.00 and if they don't "blink" you tell them "for the eye test" the glasses are $250.00 additional". If they still don't blink, you say, "for the frames". The lens are an additional $150.00. And if they still don't blink, you say, "apiece".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks