Converting Garage to living space and water heater/furnace venting req

Users who are viewing this thread

gakenyon

Reaction score
I am planning to convert my garage to a bedroom and a laundry room. My plan was to enclose the gas water heater and gas furnace inside a 5' wide 3 ' deep room with double doors for ease of access/replacement. This would be a room within the new laundry room. I have been looking at the requirements for venting and know I will need vents near the floor and near the ceiling. I have not quiet figured out the size yet but know it will have to be at least 10"x10" as that is the min.

Then I had another thought, what if I installed louvered double doors? would this be allowed and if so would I be able to either not install the vents to the outside or perhaps would it decrease the size of the vents needed? If I did install louvered doors would there be a problem drawing air in from the laundry room?
The washer and dryer are both electric. Would there be a problem with that?

Or could I also not enclose the water heater and furnace and leave it open to the laundry room?

thanks,
gak

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Enclosing a water heater and a furnace is fine. Using louvered doors is fine. Not enclosing the WH and furnace is fine as well.

In my city, you need a permit to convert a garage.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A gas furnace or water heater needs combustion air.
You will need to either provide outside air, or have a large enough room and or some type of venting like the grills or louvered doors mentioned.
I don't have the charts here. You may want to call the plans office and ask.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks